Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summer Viewing

Though I certainly won't be going to see the Indiana Jones, Batman or other blockbusters this summer (I'll wait until they're on the small screen of an airlines), I am compelled to go see Wall-E, despite the generally glowing reviews. Besides a brilliant repurposing of Hello, Dolly!, its first third is all about junk, for Chirsakes.

Today, I managed to go see a lesser hyped but still still heavily promoted summer film, Chris and Don. Fortunately it lived up to the hype. Though not exactly groundbreaking as a documentary, there was some interesting innovations. Seeing a tale of a 30 year relationship made me think of my own series that, in the end, mirror a bento box -- a series of compartmentalized treats that don't touch that range from sweet to crunchy to slightly nutty to fish -- most of them forgotten by tea time the same afternoon.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

"Mongol" is certainly one to catch while it's still on the big screen. Most of your western conventions so far as epic, heroic biography go are absent here. The protagonist (in this, part one of three) spends much of the movie Failing.

I will have to go see the Hunter S. Thompson doc, "Gonzo", and let's face it; there will be "Dark Knight", probably before the week ends.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - "Gonzo" and "Mongol" were on at the screens down the hall. I could only handle one movie this weekend, and "My Winnipeg" opens here Friday. "Dark Knight" will have to wait.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Ah, Mr. Maddin. Yep, I'm seeing that one, too.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - And it stars film noir femme fatale Ann Savage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home