Monday, September 29, 2008

Biggest. Drop. Ever.

After having a great visit with Gary's first grade students, this afternoon I headed down to Ground Zero and Wall Street since I've not been there in years and it's a place that's been on many of our minds lately. I got there just around the time the news about the failed attempts to push through the bailout hit and stocks were falling. People weren't jumping out of buildings, but the place was swarming with reporters, tourists who weren't exactly smiling and the air was filled with an odd stiffness I've never experienced in the neighborhood.

Making it all the more surreal, I saw a glimpse of myself while watching a CNN report on my jetBlue flight back home.

This was definitely not the highlight of my Manhattan trip, but I thought I'd post it since it's a rare time that I actually crossed paths so closely with world news.

Photos and stories of my four days in Manhattan to follow, but I'm now ready for bed since it's nearly 2 a.m. Eastern Time. Mouse beat me to the punch with this slide show.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

You all looked fab and fashionable together in New York.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

I can't believe what an effect the news that the bailout bill not passing had on the market. personally although I know something needs to be done, I'm glad the bill didn't pass as I have no confidence that this blank check would actually address the critical issues that actually got the banks into the position they are in....

it was great to finally meet you in person. hope you rested well and the internal clock takes no time resetting!

that is freaky that you were on the cnn report! too bad you didn't get off a snap!

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Lora said...

oh man. You guys looked like you were having so much fun. I was stuck at the inlaws with out-of-town relatives most of the weekend.

Big sigh...

Next time.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - It felt like we were bringing to life the new roundtable at the Algonquin. The Soho Grand should feel proud!

Mouse - Well, you had to look really closely to see the side of me for an 18th of a second. Oddly, I don't feel more panic over all this news.

It was great fun meeting you and the others as well. Let's start planning our next meet up. In Cleveland or California maybe?

Lora - We all want to meet you too soon. It's sort of dreary to be back boring old San Francisco, but onward through the fog as they say...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home