Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Went to Manhattan and All I Got Was a Doorknob

Frequent readers here know that one of my obsessions is the search for the perfect door knob. I think I may have found it. Sunday's visit to MOMA to see the Van Gogh exhibit was a bit disappointing. Perhaps it was a bit overhyped. The couple of dozen paintings were superb, and it was amazing to see Starry Night and The Potato Eaters. I guess I was just expecting it to be a much larger exhibit.

However, after a stepped out just a tad discouraged, I stepped into the interior design exhibit and gasped. There is front of me was a doorknob designed by my favorite American architect, Louis Sullivan. Though I've long since been burned out on Absolutely Fabulous, my favorite episode was when Patsy and Edina flew on the Concord to New York with the single purpose of finding the perfect doorknob and then flew back the same day.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you perfection.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger digibudi said...

Oh Sweety Darling, I'm sooooo glad you've found what you were looking for.. be it not a Van Gogh, a perfect doorknob is much more practical anyway! xoxo

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

I love that episode!! (Though their ideal "door handle" was quite a bit different from yours!)

Some day we've got to compare notes on Ouagadougou. :)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Nikolas - Well, mind you I love Van Gogh but just wanted more. Wish you could have been there. Are you still planning a trip to SF?

Steve - I think you're right that it was a handle not knob and much more 21st century.

Yes, let's share some Ouaga tales sometime. Do you ever check Kusala's blog? He's been there to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home