Thursday, October 16, 2008

In These Modern Times

Yes, I did listen to the debate and regret seeing all the bits of body language.

And, lo and behold, I had a dream about McCain last night. (At least I didn't dream about dead relatives or drowning for a change.) I was in my kitchen, and McCain and several people had apparently had a sleep over at my house. McCain and I were about to put bagels in the toaster. I stepped back and with affected politeness said, "No, Senator, you go first. As a guest in my house, I insist."

He flashed his fake smile and replied, "No, my friend, you go ahead."

"No, I insist."

"Really, my friend, I am content to wait."

Knowing this cat and mouse game of feigned politeness would only delay the agony, I popped my bagel in for what felt like the longest 90 seconds of silence as we both tried to avoid eye contact. I knew that I didn't want to engage in any chatter with him, and he seemed to know that trying to gain my vote was futile.

Finally, I attempted to at least say something a-political and polite. "You're so lucky to live in a state with the Saguaro National Park. It's such a treasure."

"You know, my friend, I've still never had the chance to get down there...with all my travel and all, but Cindy and the kids say it's gorgeous."

Just then, I heard my bagel pop up, McCain rushed behind me to put in his, and then I could hear Guru yawning and I woke up.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

That is the funniest picture -- paired with the funniest dream!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Steve - Though I would say laughter about this election and these times is a release valve, not a form of pleasure.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger WAT said...

I had a nightmare that Sarah Palin became president and that gays, Jews, and anyone else opposed to her Christian Right-wing psycho ideas was out to death. And that the world was thrown into a terrible religious nuclear war.

Oh wait. I'm sure most people can claim that bad dream already.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - If there were any positive outcome from Palin becoming president it would be that I'd finally get up the nerve to leave for Spain forever.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

I believe the mere fact that mccain was a character in a dream it would make it a nightmare? thank goodness guru yawned and nipped that in the bud....who knows where it could have gone to.

you threatening to move to spain all the more reason to get the obama vote out!!!

where in earth did you get that photo? I was just talking of mcsames' body language with a friend not more than an hour ago!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

If we don't laugh, we'll cry.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - I stole the photo from Joe.My.God (the most trusted news source - ever), but he stole it from some mainstream site. It's not doctored, McCain was about to slip after he shook hands with Obama. How Freudian.

The only reason I would want McCain to win is so that I would actually follow through and move to Barcelona. I can just see Guru having a blast in Parc Guell

Jill - Let's hope we're laughing with Joe come November 4.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home