Thursday, October 09, 2008

Thursday Night Bliss

Iceland is broke, the U.S. is beyond broke, Palin is in her rabid foam spewing moose mode, we'll never hear the phrase "Paul Newman's newest movie", half of my friends east of Reno have some sort of early nasal/chest infection.

But in the spirit of the Power of Now, I feel incredibly blissful. A short list from the past 72 hours that makes me feel that way:
* The fall weather in Oregon was, in a word, perfect.
* I met 50 to 60 people ranging in ages from 18 to 93, all of whom are not just voting for Obama-Biden but taking every person they know without a car to the polls. Oregon is cobalt blue come November.
* Even though I got completely lost driving to Forest Grove today, the journey took me through some of the most gorgeous farmland and deliciously ramshackle barns I've ever seen. If only I wasn't in such a time crunch and could have gotten photos.
* Everyone I met gave me tips about great political actions taking place to reclaim democracy and recommending or hading me great books.
* A young couple off Burnside showed me an incredible action figure their artist friend did in the likeness of Bolivian president Evo Morales.
* My meager investments tied vaguely to the stock market are still in the positive digits.
* My total credit card debt totals $30 -- the amount I paid to check a bag both ways on United -- and will be paid off the second I receive the bill after years...decades...of having bills that seemed to add another digit to the total each year.
* The wacko priests standing next two me in boarding zone four were seated two rows ahead of me, not next to me and my iPod touch drowned out their babble.
* My flight home arrived at SFO 10 minutes early.
* My bag was the 10th one off the carousel.
* I found a parking 100 feet from my front door and not at a parking meter.
* There was absolutely no doggie damage to the house and a glowing note from the dog sitter on what a gentlemen Guru was the entire week.
* I was greeted by the gorgeous creature above and below who was overcome with joy.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger WAT said...

YAY! Puppy behaved! AW!

There are little joys now in my life too, even amidst the chaos you outlined in the beginning of this cool post.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - In the midst of this horrible political and economic season, I am given faith in the ability of love and civility to survive when I see a canine that has crawled through the bowels of hell but can still find the capacity to forgive and love. Change and hope are not abstract concepts. They are the only thing we have left to cling to.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Wonderful post made even more inspiring by your above comment.Thank you for reminding me to to count my blessings.
xoxoxoxoxoxoSMJ

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - I'd add my friends -- local and afar -- to that list of blessings.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

yeah!! so many points of bliss it's staggering.
once you had the flight out behind you it was all magic. may all these good vibrations vibrate through all our lives!!!

I sure am feeling better now.....

hugs to you and the most gorgeous guru!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

GO GURU!!!! How great to come back to him and find him happy! Only more good things ahead!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse and Joy - It's good to feel progress is being made. My rescue group "sponsor" is coming by tomorrow to help me give him a bath. We'll see how that goes...

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Bobby D. said...

I just LOVE this post.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Very nice, and glad to hear you're not despairing. I'm barely paying attention to the presidential campaign, but Prop 8 is making me gnash my teeth -- I just need to sit back and relax. As they say, if the Dalai Lama can feel compassion for the Chinese, I can somehow try to forgive my fellow citizens for their derangement.

Guru is TOO cute. I have to tell you, I wish I lived up there because I would be dogsitting every chance I could get.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Ched - Thanks. As you can tell, I love talking about Guru.

Joe - I'm gnashing my teeth on Prop. 8 to a degree, though not because I have any hopes of getting married myself. I don't feel it's do or die on this issue since it might come up again. The White House, however, is do or die.

Maybe I could send Guru down on the Amtrak to stay with you when I travel next. I bet you two would have fun on the beach. Everyone that meets him immediately falls in love.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Guru looks like the type that would enjoy riding Amtrak in a window seat. I'll have to meet him next time I'm in SF.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - Definitely drop by to meet him next trip. He's enlarging my social network rapidly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home