Friday, November 21, 2008

Way to Go Wago

"It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to take up space."
- Tugboat Dave

That quote from Dave was used a few months back to describe Junk Thief TV and what he attributed as being an inspiration for a great video he did that featured miniature horses and random New Orleans tomfoolery. This season of Junk Thief TV has been really sparse, and more than once I've been tempted to give it up since such nuisances as having a job, a life and foster dogs has sort of gotten in the way. (Though "The Bow Show" may be coming soon.) There hasn't exactly been a screaming mob whining "We want our Junk Thief TV", but like it or not we may end up having a few episodes here and there.

Tonight I got some good inspiration from a dozen or more short films by the video-artist Wago Kreider at Artists' Television Access over on Valencia. ATA brags that they bring you videos guaranteed to "mess with your head", and some of Wago's really did with lots of micro-edits and wacky recycling of Hitchcock, Sirk and Ray among others. My absolute favorite was "Vienna in the Desert" that used unedited sound from Johnny Guitar with contemporary footage shown above from what I assume was Lake Mono, but I don't know my desert landmarks that well.

When I first moved to SF, I went to screenings very regularly at ATA after feeling a real void after being involved in the documentary world of Manhattan and longing to be near video nerds. I sort of let my visits lapse, and it was nice to be back. Maybe there will even be a new JTTV coming soon.

Stay tuned...

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

BOW SHOW! BOW SHOW! BOW SHOW!

:)

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joy - Soon.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

I WANT MY JTTV!
We should get shirts made.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - Oh, I'm sure there is someone out there willing to make you one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home