Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Unexpected Pleasing Nighttime Beverage

In theory, at least, I despise almost anything with chocolate, mainly because any significant amount of it makes me groggy, depressed and feeling hopeless. However, the past few nights I have found surprising pleasure with a mug of cocoa if only for the nostalgia of the red mugs that have been a part of my family for as many holiday seasons as I can remember. My fondness for eggnog is not quite as strong, although the neighboring glasses evoke as many memories.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Blogger Squirrel said...

Let's all have some chocolate... and maybe just a taste of egg nog.

A tavern in my village is advertising their Puerto Rican Egg Nog Latin Delight right now. I want to try some, but it sounds like I might stagger home afterwards. The longer the name, the more alcohol probably.

Back in days of yore, young men used to go Nogging--they'd visit every neighbor to wish them merry for a tiny shot of egg nog, and by the time they were done nogging they were pretty drunk. (My dad heard this story from his grandma --her brothers went nogging every December and one always came home wrecked. )

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Squirrel - Perhaps I should try some Puerto Rican Egg Nog (or Salvidorean which would be more fitting in this neighborhood), though my family tradition was "virgin" egg nog so not much chance of getting drunk on it.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger WAT said...

One year back in the early 90s I believe, I spent XMAS up in Millbrae, and my mom's friend made an amazing eggnog without the alcohol. They call it ROMPOPE in Spanish.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Rompope. I'll try to remember that, thinking of Rome and...oh, never mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home