Thursday, December 11, 2008

Give Us This Day

One of my favorite things about the change of seasons is that I try to take many of the treasures/junk/stuff I have in storage and swap them with what I've had on display for the past few months. I have an excess of things for my sprawling flat, but some pieces are perennials. This print in my kitchen is one of them and usually gets a strongly negative or positive reaction, or maybe people are just being polite and afraid to offend. I've had it for easily 20 years and acquired it at an estate sale. There is something about it that I have found to be grounding and sobering in a positive way while others consider it to be depressing. Unlike some things, I look at it with some intent a few times a week, usually before having a meal and read something different into it each time. I wish I knew more about it, the artist and its origin. As I slowly recuperate from my cold, it seems to have new meaning.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I'd make a comment, but I'm at a loss for words, as that reminds me too much of how hard life was back in the old country.

However, I do miss Władi, my pet billy goat.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - Did you sell matches on the Lower East Side as a child too? Maybe you're that new kid that cornered my market.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

When people have a strongly negative reaction to it, what specifically are they offended by?

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - I don't think they consider it offensive just too dark and serious.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Dark and serious??! I find that funny!!

To me, it's a relaxing-looking scene of peaceful pastoral life in days gone by. Look at the contented look on the face of the young lady on the left fingering the string of beads around her neck. The ladies are enjoying a late summer evening waiting for the borscht to boil on the iron stove....

Seriously, those of us with Polish blood in our veins have a much different definition of "dark." I'm glad you shared this image.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - Well from that part of the world dark and serious probably mean "normal" not depressing. Yes, I agree that it is relaxing and peaceful. Pictures of people flashing bright teeth and filled with sunny pastels would be depressing to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home