Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ravishing Ruins

Friendatella dropped by the other day to see Bow, and we three went for a walk. Along our stroll, he pointed out his favorite houses in my neighborhood -- those rare decaying Victorians that look like they'd be covered with cobwebs inside and wacky old ladies peeking out through tattered curtains.

With news of single digit temperatures today in Detroit, I am reminded of how there has always been something oddly fascinating about that city to me. I've never been brave enough to drive or walk around through its various ruins but have longed to do more than just speed through when I have been there. This site gives a good sense of what is there, and today I would sort of like to be there.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

I went to Detroit about ten years ago and was surprised by how much I liked it. Troubled, yes, but some amazing architecture and a great old industrial spirit. Plus Eminem! (Kidding.)

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Steve - Some amazing architecture, and of course Madonna and Elaine Stritch hail from there. I have family up in the north 'burbs of Royal Oak, and it feels like you are in Los Altos Hills or Pasadena. A really odd difference between outlying areas and inner city.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I find "ruins" like this incredibly sad.... even not-so-special woodframe farmhouses and other homes on the sides of New Jersey highways. Nothing sadder to me than a decrepit, empty, fallingdown house. Instant melancholy... but also fascinating to explore and imagine.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - I'd rather seem them restored, and slowly Detroit is doing that. But something about melancholy is always seductive to me. Go figure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home