Tuesday, February 16, 2010

From a Gentleman's Library

A favorite Sunday activity is checking out the Civic Center farmers market and the Friends of the Library Book Bay. Both have curious bargains. This Sunday I was intrigued by a shelf with the heading "From a Gentleman's Library". There were several dozen beautifully bound and beautifully illustrated volumes, most published before the mid-1920s. I was tempted to buy all of them since few were more than $8.
I did end up going home with a few volumes. This particular one was part of the series called The Home University Bookshelf that features short stories accompanying famous paintings as well as a songbook. Below is an example of the type of tales it spins. I hope you enjoy. Check in, I may share more.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many books I've salvaged from library or jumble sales...some as far back as 1852. Alas, not all come so beautifully bedecked...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home