Friday, April 27, 2007

Is It Royal Oak or Just Michillinda Park?


I've lived in California long enough that it sort of shocks me to go back to the real Midwest, especially the postcard perfect, tree-lined suburbs to find myself not sure if I am in reality or a movie set. Royal Oak or Kalamazoo are not exactly Pasadena, or more appropriately Michilinda Park. Those Southland suburbs have posed as mid-America in movies and TV shows for so long that I have sort of accepted that the real thing should look the same. Adding to the confusion is that Royal Oak has enough vegan spots, tapas joints, bikram yoga studios and (as if sneering at Motor City to the south) Priuses to make me think I'm back in the Golden State. It's sort of like Canadian dollars -- familiar, but not exactly the same. Having made three business trips in one month, my sense of geography is getting increasingly fuzzy. Detroit is the one in the U.S., and Windsor is the one that isn't, right?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

wait... Michilinda Park ... isn't that near Arcadia?

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Yes, wedged in between Arcadia and the eastern tip of Pasadena, this unicorporated area could pass for many a Midwestern neighborhood. Thus, the name Mich(igan)Ill(innois)Ind(i)a(na).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home