Sunday, June 17, 2007

Gentrification Not Yet Complete

My neighbor that works at NetFlix now has two BMWs, the one-story cottage across the street reportedly sold for seven figures and the lines get longer each Sunday morning at the St. Francis Fountain -- all signs of the changes afoot in my part of San Francisco. Yet, my little corner of the Mission is not yet Noe Valley let alone Chestnut Street. (Like that will ever happen.) In case you need evidence, witness these two sights from this afternoon. The fellow a few inches away from my entry gate arrived around 5 p.m. (A cop came by and sent him on his way seconds after I snapped this shot.) Fifteen years ago this would have been heart-breaking and would have made my heart race. I can't say I've lost compassion for people in such a situation, but I didn't feel compelled to invite him in for a shower and a chance to sleep it off. If Joe Buck had walked by in looked down in dismay, would I be one more of the callous urban dwellers that walked by the scene as if it were no more routine than a discarded candy bar wrapper on the street? In my neighborhood discarded gin bottles are more common than Baby Ruth wrappers. I am sure there is a story behind this man. I'm sure it would probably make me cry were I to hear all of it.

The TV set which has been there since Wednesday has yet to disappear. If anyone who'd like it, I'll gladly deliver it to your door. I may deliver it to someone's door whether they want it or not.


Since the only apparel stores in the 'hood at the moment are $99 stores and women's vintage shops, I had to go up the hill to Noe Valley to grab a pair of new Rabat shoes and Hobo Por Tour bag, sort of in between a bike messenger bag and an outright purse. I promise to do my part for Pride Week by escaping the big parade hear and parading around with them while in Missouri next weekend.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Eva the Deadbeat said...

Is that your TV? I'll take it! reminds me of this time years ago when i was in my friend's neighborhood in the Fillmore. i picked up a TV off her street and brought it home to Oakland. it didn't work so I brought it BACK and left it on the same street in the Fillmore that I found it on!

sad to see so many people in dire straits in SF. being on Market St always makes me so sad. so many people huddled in doorways for the night. so many wary eyes checking out your wallet when you open it to get change for the bus. sad, sad. what to do??!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Maybe I should run a cable out my front window and air a JunkThief TV marathon.

I don't have an answer on the homeless folks. I hope I never turn a blind eye to it but also know that there is only so much that one person can do.

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My friend who lives in Amsterdam, probably the most supportive city in the world, told me something interesting . . . nobody in the Netherlands is homeless unless he wants to be. Drug users are given clean, safe, government-supplied drugs. The social services are extraordinary. Shelter and basic needs are provided to anyone who needs them. And yet there are still homeless people, who prefer to be that way. That struck me as very interesting. I'm not suggesting in any sense that all or most of the homeless in America fall into that category, but it is interesting.

A friend of mine who drives a long-haul truck wanted to live out of his car on the weekends, rather than take on the expense of an apartment that he'd use for no more than 24 hours a week, but he told me that "There's no legal place to be homeless in America anymore. You can't just live. People are always wanting you to move along, even if you don't want anything and you're not causing a problem." I don't think it's possible to be a vagabond anymore, even in the most benign sense.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Robert said...

Dear Junk Thief.

I believe I had a dream last night and you paid a visit. As I recall, we were just sitting around having lunch, shooting the breeze... somewhat.

Maybe that will actually happen, one day.

Yours truly,
Mrhappysad

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rodrigo - Nifty shirts, but one mention would have been fine.

David - Amsterdam does challenge the myth that San Francisco is "progressive" when it comes to the homeless.

Robert - That sounds like a sweet dream. Hope we do meet someday. Sorry you're happysad not just happy today.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Is your neighbor who works for Netflix the CEO Reed Hastings?!

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

A CEO in this neighborhood? No, it's a latina of undetermined sexual orientation, but I have my theories...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home