Friday, September 14, 2007

Cleanest Concrete in the West

Not that I am suggesting for a second that any of my beloved fans have personal experience with it, but is there such a thing as concrete cleaning obsessive-compulsive disorder. I am seriously beginning to think so as every morning around 9:30, this gentleman across the street spends about 45 minutes watering his shrubs and then hosing down is beautiful slab of concrete.

As concrete front lawns go, I guess it's one to be proud of, and as chronicled here last month, it was quite a production to put in this news slab. Further, I know that the daily parade of "colorful types" in this 'hood depositing a wide range of body fluids leaves our sidewalks and streets looking pretty skanky. But does it really merit such a generous hosing down daily, sometimes twice daily?

Again, I'm no expert on this topic, but it sure sounds like a disorder to me.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Scot said...

Sounds like my next door neighbor. He recently turned his front lawn into concrete leaving holes of no more than 22inch diameter for the trees coming through. He hoses it down regularly, and also hoses out his trash cans every week after they're emptied.
I agree, it's odd.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Glad to know I'm not alone on this one, Scot. I'm a clean freak, but just sweeping now and then is enough for me when it comes to concrete. I'll hose down the trash cans now and then. But I also know that they're supposed to be nasty, and they're down in the basement where I don't have to see/smell them.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger mrpeenee said...

I hate paved front yards. They seriously help to add to urban heat islands and besides, they look like crap. Besides, if you're concerend about pissing passersby, and I'm sympathetic to that, a flowerbed seems like a better answer than concrete that just holds it.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Probably somewhere between OCD and nothing better to do.
Then again, in my old neighborhood, the old babchas and Italian ladies used to be outside sweeping the sidewalk three times a day. Maybe it's an old people thing.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I live in the middle of a block full of these people. I am the only one who does not do the trashcan hose on friday afternoons. I also do not sweep or hose-down the damn gutter in front of the house. My neighbors hate me for that. I see them looking at me with their judging eyes. I hear their thoughts.

I hate them I hate them all.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Emily Suess said...

Totally makes me want to show up with a bucket of sidewalk chalk and go to town. Does that make me mean?

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mr. P - Clearly the wrong kind of urban heat.

Jill - I'm not above sweeping the sidewalk, five times a year tops.

Gavin - Bur they LOVE you.

Emily - Not at all, you're artistic.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Robert said...

Maybe he thinks it's grass?!? Wait, maybe you can try taking a dump somewhere near his front door?!? eek! :-)

Hello JT!

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Gregg Biggs said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Hi Robert. Welcome back to California. Thanks for that image across the street. This site really needed you back online to help class things up a bit with such imagery! Hugs and grins in the meantime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home