Saturday, September 15, 2007

Gentrification Not Yet Complete - Chapter 3,087

I'd been home maybe 20 seconds last night and still had my headphones when Bunter started freaking out and running the way he does when I pull out the vacuum cleaner or run the coffee grinder. I could hear some popping in the distance. "Oh, crap, they still have those damned fireworks," I grumbled and then heard yelling, screaming, squealing tires.

Egads, we've not had one of those in the 'hood in at least a couple of years. Barely 90 seconds later, there were 10-12 cop cars, an EMT vehicle, fire truck and the pest strips (not the actual ones) seen above. I really wasn't in the mood to play Brenda Starr at that moment. And that critical 20 seconds was going through my head, say if I'd not walked through the yellow light when crossing Harrison or if I'd been at the end not front of BART, where I might have been when the shooting started.

The cops that stood vigil and shined flashlights into my shrubs were actually pretty hot, not the usual chubby foot patrol dudes that you see for the more routine monitoring of our hallowed streets.

At least the old man across the street will now have some blood to hose off the sidewalks this morning and can feel useful.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Its a horrible thing to witness. Just hearing the shots and realizing what they are is a traumatic experiance. Well the bright side is if it ever happens again you know to put on your best housecoat because cutiecop will be back!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger marxsny said...

When I lived in North Philadelphia while attending Temple Pharmacy School the sound of gunshots, screaming and sirens was in the air pretty regularly. I moved to a better neigborhood where I didn't hear any gunshots, but had a gun stuck in my face. I've been in the suburbs ever since.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - I was thinking more of the mode of wifebeater and stubble. Cops like to be roughed up sometimes too.

Mark - If I were in the suburbs there would be a gun in my face, my own gun in my own hand.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Housecoat.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger m00nchild said...

Scary. When I moved into my apartment 3 years ago, I only found out that there had been 5 murders at the corner 1 block away when I had to call 911 because another guy was being shot at and yelling for help outside my window.

I avoided that corner for a couple of years. Always walking a city block around it to get elsewhere.

Now there are surveillance cameras. I despise the creeping surveillance society BUT I do feel safer I have to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home