Saturday, September 29, 2007

Saturday in My Neighborhood

Although the store itself has been closed for quite some time, the sign remains and has tempted me to either nab it or buy the building.
I have no idea what these creations in the storefront/gallery near the 24th/Mission BART stop are, but they have held my fascination for quite a while.



This ongoing public art project on utility boxes and other banal objects tries to document life in the Mission.
And an example of the real thing. Summer afternoons are often marked by the pleasant sound of the little bells.
Precita Eyes, the organization promoting, preserving and preparing our murals is marking its third decade.
La Victoria is the largest panaderia in the neighborhood and has staff sweeter than their treats. It's been a while since I've seen the big yellow cat that guards all those pastries after hours.
This Magical Mystery Tour bus was parked outside Galeria de la Raza this evening, perhaps bringing the poets performing there.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Blogger Pod said...

nab it!
go on!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I love the tours of your neighborhood. I'd do one of mine on my blog but I live in a boring world. The most exciting thing in my neighborhood is a Whole Foods. Other than that it is an endless sea of little republican homes oh wait....
we do have a Harp store!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Pod - My arms are too short.

Gavin - A harp store! We lack that but will soon have a Whole Foods on the other side of Potrero.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

pod took my comment, NAB IT, but since you said your arms are too short, we need to coordinate an action!! (can you hear the mission impossible theme song????) of course if I was THERE i'd be there with you, dressed in black, stealthily liberating the junko sign! since i'm not there, offer 10 bucks for it and see if they bite.

eh gads, whole foods, sounds good, but I have heard very troubling info re their coroporate sheninigans???????

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

KIMY - We sound like a team. I sense that behind that camera lurks a vixen on the order of Barbara Bain circa 1966 or so.

If you've read Michael Pollen's the "Omnivore's Dilemma", Whole Foods is less than perfect. Not Halliburton of Monsanto, but not as "whole" as its green veneer might suggest.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger J. David Zacko-Smith said...

I love, love, love posts like this. In fact, I guess I really should do some myself!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

JDZS - That would be cool. Be sure to get some of your favorite roundabouts.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Since the hot spots in my hood are few and far between I'll be sharing them one at a time.

I'd love to live in your neighborhood. Warts and all its far more interesting than where I am.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - I'd prefer that you not talk about my warts in front of other people. I'm very self conscious about them.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Oh my god...panaderia!!!! Something I missed all those years in New Orleans. I've almost forgotten about them. I'll definitely have to head out to the mission on a field trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home