Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Arizona Highways (as Seen by a Californian)

Lots of miles, lots meetings in less than 30 hours, but I couldn't keep my loyal readers in the lurch. So here's a rundown of Monday and Tuesday.
I have been getting around the state in a Chevy HHR. I'd never seen or heard of such a thing. Imagine a PT Cruiser with birth defects.

TUBA CITY

I spent Monday on a Hopi and Navajo reservation east of Tuba City. Fascinating visits to several villages where photography is not allowed, but I saw several sweat lodges and hogans. I did manage to snap these shots at the little known Coal Mine Canyon on the western edge of the reservation.

Near the San Francisco range south of Tuba City on route 89.

FLAGSTAFF
Huh, huh. I said beaver.
No jokes about the snarling. Having been there twice this year, I think Flagstaff (or Flag as locals call it) has one of the highest cute boy indexes of any college town in the west. Just scruffy enough to have an edge in a freshly scrubbed way. I was thinking about not actually seeing one of them as this one was shot.
Seeing me take self-snaps, an especially yummy boy kindly shot this one of me, but I wasn't so bold as to ask him to let me do the same. Anyway, you can see that he made me smile. I wanted to see if he could make me really smile, though.
Oh, the art.
Overall, I much prefer Flagstaff to Sedona, at least people-wise.

ROUTE 89A to Sedona
Embiggen to get the joke. It amused me for the 5 minutes waiting to pass a one lane road.


Scenery on the route.
Scenery with scowling Californian.
Did you know they have a lot of cacti in Arizona? The stay in Sedona was mercifully brief. Honestly, I'd love the place if it weren't for the locals and the tourists there.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger jason said...

Archeology jokes *and* cute scruffy young men?


*That* ought to be the state motto.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

thanks for the armchair vacation! I do love road trips. glorious skies, been way too long since I was in that part of the country. enjoyed the pics. you really gotta get sneaky snapping some pics of those 'cute scruffy young men' - and you call yourself a thief! happy trails!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jason - My hope was that behind the wheel of that truck would be some scruffy young University of Northern Arizona undergrad looking for some old thing. Unfortunately it was some scruffy old thing.

Kimy - California's reputation of being a place of sun sure is given a run for the money here. I was thinking along the long drive how I was oblivious to how many miles I put in since the scenery kept changing and was pretty glorious every step of the way. I don't think it would be the same in Kansas or certainly not on I-5 in California.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Robert said...

OMG. It's someone's birthday tomorrow!!! OMG OMG OMG!! Who could it be?!?! Hmm... I'm little early, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Wait, can't I make the font here any bigger!!

PS. Okay, if tomorrow isn't your birthday afterall, then I'll feel really, really stoopid! I mean stupid! So did I get it right???

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Correct, sir. Please go light on the spanking.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger WAT said...

The scowling Californian is quite a regular presence on your blog.

Sign me up for a trip to Flagstaff and some college boys! WOOHOO! As beautiful as Arizona's sights may be, I can't do much with them in the hedonistic sense as I could with a nice scruffy edgy freshly-scrubbed university student.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Maybe we could do a tour together prowling for the scrubbed and scruffy boys. My experience in California is that they tend to be scruffy, unscrubbed, covered in 10,000 tattoos, 2,000 piercings and meth dealers. Maybe I've been deceived, but they're on the order of the just right mix of scrubbed and scruffy here. Of course, I could end up being deceived and open the package to discover a Prince Albert. To quote Queen Victoria, I'd have to say "I am not amused."

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Oh lordie are you and WAT conspiring to make me have another naughty dream?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! How many swats is it this year?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Scot said...

Hey, I'm scrubbed and scruffy (at the moment). I susbscribe to the theory that shaving is a weekly activity while bathing is a daily (at least) activity.
I love the shadow pictures in Coal Mine Canyon. Great shots.
I've seen many of those little Chevy thingies around and your description is fan-tabulous. They tried, but failed miserably. Never been in one though. It drive like an other Chevy?
And yes, Happy Birthday!! (I'm very disappointed that they don't allow the "big" tag in comments. Poo on Google

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Scot - Hey, I've known you're yummy for quite some time. That damned HHR has got to be one of the worse things I've ever rented. It held the road fine, had enough power, etc. However, I've never been in anything with so many blind spots! It's also clearly built for 5'9" or under. I literally had to scrunch down at least 5-6 inches to see overhead traffic signals. Next time they give me one of those I will demand that they also provide me with a 5'8" Latino, Italian, or Portugese drive. Hell, it's my birthday and I'll demand it anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home