Saturday, September 22, 2007

Timon of Tuba City

If my presence here next week is less than usual, it's partly because I'll be at the locale above. Perhaps I should take some heirloom tomatoes for the journey. Do they count as part of the carry on gels and liquids.? I can't remember.

For those who don't remember my last journey through this state, barely more than two months ago, it is a place that reminds me of my favorite character chronicled by Shakespeare, Timon of Athens, a once glorious party giver who went on to become a sever misanthrope before going mad in the desert. A pivotal scene in the play is when the once generous host throws a water banquet for his fair weathered friends who are expecting the usual display of opulence he can no longer afford. The play has meant different things at different moments in my life. I keep coming back to it, expecting to find meaning that may never have been there. Typically simultaneously discredited and revered as Shakespeare's most challenging, weired, incomplete, and profound work, I find that I cannot push it away. At once fearful of it yet also intrigued, like German tourists walking in fascination into Death Valley with fascination or like the characters in Eric Von Stroheim's Greed, staggering in the heat with bags of bounty but not a drop of water to drink.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

why take tomatoes when there's tacos, milk and burgers? all you'll need are a couple loincloths and a few 3-oz bottles of SPF 60 sunscreen. hippo birdie two ewe!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

Happy Birthday! As for the Butte County restaurant signage, I keep telling my Typography 101 classes to **never** use script fonts, and everyone knows how I feel about sanserif fonts. Yuba City was once listed as the worst place to live in the United States. A Japanese friend of mine reported this in Japan's English Journal Magazine as "Most Notorious City." Speaking of Japan - the remix is fabulous. Plus, the music by Le Chic!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kimy - Hippo birdie indeed.

Bryce - Well, I think you hit the nail on the head about script on signs. It's Tuba City not Yuba City. or maybe they changed it to confuse people. That actually happened with Grover City, Calif., that became Grover Beach to improve their image. Uh, City wasn't the problem with the name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home