Sunday, October 14, 2007

Junk Thief on the Gray Line Tour?

Geez. I go out of town for just a few days, and how things change. I was having a relaxing Sunday, strolling the neighborhood and running a few random errands, stopped in for cup of the Aromatic Arabic at Philz (where you can now by replica's of his trademark fedora) and a Salvadoran pastry. Just as I was to snap this non Precita Eyes endorsed bit of graffiti along Balmy alley, my view was suddenly obscured when...
...this vehicle drove up and let out a group of tourists. To his credit, the driver apologized and asked if he was in my way. "Nah, nah, you're fine..." I grumbled. Actually, the tourists weren't as obnoxious as the usual ones, but it was pretty pathetic to see this group driving through my 'hood, actually just two doors down from my front window with the guy speaking into a microphone as his amplified voice echoed along the shop windows of 24th Street. Looking at the people on their website, however, makes you wonder what sort of visitor would lower himself to riding around San Francisco with a group of fellow travelers in pith helmets. Hmmm, I bet we're on their advertised "ethnic themed" tours. If any of you in the know give my address to the Star Maps people, be warned. I will make your life hell!
Unperturbed, I sipped my Arabic and snapped a shot of the Mission Presbyterian, a rare example of Gothic shingled church architecture in this city.
If you're looking for something to bring a little spice to accent your hum drum cotton-poly boxers available at six for $10 on Mission Street...
...stroll a couple of doors down to The Foxy Lady where they have their Halloween finery on display.
I always wonder what was in Anna's Linens that prompted having the dollar sign embedded in the entry tile.
Though La Copa Loca has been evolving from a check cashing place to a gelato shop over the past few years, it has only recently gained its more Noe Valley-esque feel.
And only at Puebla Dracula can you get the meat on your torta gorda extremely rare.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

peut-etre your hood is on the 'spirtiual safari' or the 'adult jaunts' ...it would be way more fun for everyone, if the folks wandering about were on the gay line tour!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Emily Suess said...

I totally need that zebra thing to park in my drive. I've got a bone to pick with our homeowner's association and that's just the thing I need to get my way.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kimy - Well, they do have a gay tour as well. Fine by me, keep 'em over in the Castro and up on Polk and away from the pupuserias and murals.

Emily - We'd gladly send that safari Range Rover your way. I didn't notice until I posted the shot, the rather bemused expression of the musician on the right staring at the vehicle. I share his sentiments.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger WAT said...

What an international neighborhood! What kind of Salvadoran pastry may I ask since my relatives all come from that tiny little nation? Semita? A peperecha?

Boxers for 10 bucks! COUNT ME IN, although God help me if I get aroused...

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Emily Suess said...

Thanks for the compliment about my blog design. The banner and color scheme are original creations of Emily, but Typepad makes the rest of it work pretty seamlessly. My old design, when I was still on blogger, was a lot of CSS and HTML manipulation. I was self-taught, so it took me forever to figure it out. But I learned a thing or two in the process. If you're serious about wanting me to help you out a bit (and you're not in a rush) I'd be glad to try. You can email me. The link's on my blog.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Hmm. They really wear those pith helmets, eh? Were they wearing them when they streamed out onto Mission, too? If so, I think someone should have taken the safari theme to its logical conclusion and picked them all off with elephant guns.

Shopping on Mission looks fun. Reminds me that I still have to hunt down the perfect pupusa next time I'm up there. Since our local Salvadorean joint closed, I've also been missing their quesadilla for dessert, and the luscious marañon agua fresca.

PS: I think you mean "rare" in the last line??

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Those boxers are cheap, but itchy poly blends.

Emily - Thanks for the offer. My biggest question is if you can transfer or link to old blogger posts.

Kusala - Sadly, one of my favorite pupuserias on 18th is now an upscale "Italian bistro". Oops, thanks for pointing out the typo.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger mrpeenee said...

Where is Puebla Dracula? Is it good? I want some.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger digibudi said...

Such a funny post Junkthief! The Urban Safari, how strange..
And about Count Dracula; I'm reading Dracula everynight before I go to sleep. It's so beautiful. And very sexy!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mr. Peenee - It's on 24th, a couple of doors down from the Roosevelt Tamale Parlour.

Digibudi - Yes, vampires can be very sexy!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Eva the Deadbeat said...

ooooh how I LOVE LOVE your adventures! and cannot wait to come visit you and SF again!

xo from chilly VT

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Eva - It's damp but not quite cold here. I'd love to visit Vermont too!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger mrpeenee said...

order me a quesadilla if you get there first, would ya hon?

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger m00nchild said...

It never ceases to amaze me how much detail and contradictions SF has in any of it's one places.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger dregina said...

Puebla Dracula! Best name for a taco shop ever.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Emily Suess said...

"My biggest question is if you can transfer or link to old blogger posts."

Yes. I mean, even if you go with another blog host, like wordpress or something, you can important your posts and comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home