Saturday, October 13, 2007

My Moment in the Maize Maze

This afternoon, my sister and I drove a couple of miles north of Lazy Acres and experienced the Maize Maze, an official Oklahoma Centennial event.
We took the short version of the maize maze, which had five "riddle stations" where you had to test your knowledge of a topic in order to be told whether to go left or right.
You had the option of picking six different topic tracks. We chose U.S. history. Did you know Wyoming was the first state to give women the right to vote? I knew that, but my sister insisted it was New York. Thus, we went right when we should have pursued my suggestion of going left.
The purpose of the maze was to promote agritourism, something that I would argue is a good reason to go to Oklahoma and closely tied to its roots (pardon the pun) and worth taking pride it. It was much more fun than SF's Pride event or Folsom Street fair. And, thankfully, there were no 68 year old guys parading around with their pierced scrotom. If they were there, things were appropriately tucked away in their overalls.
We begged off on the tractor ride, but we both took three shots on the corn cannon.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

OOH, fun!

Although my claustrophobia and a traumatic viewing of 'Children of the Corn' may prevent me from ever braving a maize maze...I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Last weekend I went through a corn maze here in NJ. It is one of those autumnal rites that I must do every year and look very forward to. We didn't have a test though. We just had to find hidden mailboxes along the way which each contained a single piece of a map. When you found all eight you had a full map and could find your way out. Great fun.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - Don't worry, they were benign corn children not mean ones.

Gary - This is part of a national project, and the map on the site linked on this post has a map of them all over the country. There are a couple even in the Bay Area! Apparently they wanted to make it more intellectually stimulating in Oklahoma. There were six mailboxes at the entry, and you picked the quiz map around a theme -- sports, music, history, physics, etc. -- and your turn signal at each post was based on a question. They were a little harder than expected. Do you know the name of the first national park in the U.S. or which state first gave women the right to vote?

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

amaizing!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kimy - Oh, you punster you. Actually there is one near you in Geauga County.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Robert said...

Did you find your way out Gregg?? Sorry I haven't been reading blogs lately. I might be absent, but I'm never far. Again, great to see pictures of you my friend!!!

xoxo

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Uh, no. Seems as if I would still be in the maze.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home