Saturday, January 05, 2008

Bloomsbury

Virginia left with rocks in her pockets to the river, Duncan Grant painted naked sailors, John Maynard Keynes was goo goo over him before he developed his economic theories, Darwin and Dickens strolled its streets and squares, Bob Marley lived there for six months, Ricky Gervais only recently moved out.

And then there is...this. I made my poor sister take me to see this movie a good three or four times in 1971. Ironically, her daughter could pass for the leading lady, even prone to speaking in cockney from time to time.

All those toadstools were in my head when I wrote this about a year ago. It got a very mixed reaction, and I've not attempted verse in the nearly 12 months since.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger jason said...

I had no idea such a film existed.

I'm afraid it doesn't look terribly good (from the clip at least), but I will have to seek it out just the same/

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jason - "The Boyfriend" is one of those films where good/bad are beside the point. It's so bright, colorful, alive. I love Ken Russell's "Tommy" (especially Ann-Magret's "beans and suds" scene), but to me "The Boyfriend" is his crowning glory. I think he and the cast must have smoked some of those psychedelic toadstools.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Thombeau said...

As you know, Ken Russell is a Fabulon favorite! The musical numbers in "The Boyfriend" make everything else worthwhile. Really, they're just incredible.

Sadly, like many of Russell's finest efforts, this is well nigh impossible to find on dvd...

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Fab - Junk Thief would be hard pressed to pick his favorite number from that movie. Each one is a gem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home