Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Everyone in Vicuna!

















LEFT: Junk Thief in a rare Andean albino vicuna collar coat - 2008

RIGHT:
Orson Welles in traditional vicuna collar coat - 1962

Not even a full 48 hours into 2008, and I was about to head off to what I knew would prove to be one of the most glorious, glittering cultural events of the year. Yes, I'm talking about the screening of The V.I.P.s at The Castro Theatre in San Francisco's Homosexual District, an arrondissement that I visit maybe three times a year. And, puh-leeze, it's The V.I.P.s not The VIPs or even worse The V.I.P.'s or The VIP's.

I recall seeing this as a tiny tot in the mid-1960s on late night TV much against my mother's wishes because it was an M-rated movie that featured (gasp) adultery. But she knew that I was a pretty cosmopolitan tot even then and caved in and let me watch. Would it hold up more than 40 years on? Would I wow the crowd arriving in the hat I had nabbed from Orson Welles (shown above in a traditional vicuna collar next to me in my rare albino vicuna collar that I picked up while touring with my flamenco dance troupe los Ladrones de Bilbao in Cochabamba back in the mid-1990s.)? Would my fellow V.I.P.s Friendatella and Bryce Digdug be able to contain their excitement at such an event? Would the paparazzi glare diminish the experience as we rattled our jewelry and waved from our opera box? Would I be mistaken for the character Welles himself played in the film, Mr. Max Buda?

Just as I was about to overheat in a quandary as these questions filled my head, Friendatella called to share devastating news -- the print was damaged, and the Castro had cancelled the screening. It is available in installments on YouTube, but it's just not the same as seeing it on the big screen in the company of fellow V.I.P.s. Friendatella and I still connected for grub at Chow and a bit of scintillating dish over our plates, but it still wasn't the same. I opted not to wear my Max Buda hat and went in my more sedate pork pie hat. It just felt like the right thing to do considering the circumstances.


Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Scot said...

Cute llamas. The little fuzzy creatures snuggling together are adorable too.

So sorry the movie got cut short. Or just cut. Always a bit of a downer when the main attraction doesn't show- much like when you skip a party JT.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

how disappointing!!! I do hope another print exists and that it won't be long until another showing is scheduled.

lovely collar that you are sporting. but I do hope that the vicuna didn't have to die to provide it otherwise those peta people might start scrawling hate messages with those toxic sharpies that are out there! they are very sweet critters. oh maybe it's a rescued coat, surely the peta people aren't against those???

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Scot - Yes, there was not print at all. Bummer.

Kimy - Don't worry, no real fur on coats in this house unless it was shed.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Joe said...

You know what Sir Andrew Lloyd would say about this:
I have just the thing for you
Chalk-stripe suits
In black or blue
Glen paid trousers
Cashmere sweaters
Bathing shorts for Malibu
Here's a patent leather lace-up
It's a virtuoso shoe
And a simply marvelous coat made of vicuna
-- You know what you can do with your vicuna


Just remember, darling, you ARE big. It's the disintegrating celluloid prints that got small.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - In this case, the stars were so big that the celluloid burned up. Now, I hope by calling me BIG you aren't implying Orson Welles big as in a 42-inch waist band. I certainly have a long way to go before being THAT big.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger jason said...

Nice porkpie, but I think you would have looked even more smashing in that black mink (?) number on Liz.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jason - It would be glamorous, but I would never be able to make up with my PETA friends.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

Vicunas are shorn
my houndstooth is torn
my chiffon is wet
the ice house is frozen
my film runneth over...
except for the You
Tube version-
just scenes with Liz
and of course
the ceremic purple flounder plate.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - I get very confused by purple flounder plates since I only buy Icelandic flounder, which of course is usually a pale lavender. It's just too close, and my fork freaks out. I do better with my ivory Chilean sea bass on my crimson red china.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home