Saturday, April 26, 2008

SRO: Paris, Barcelona..The Mission

At one point I seemed to be quite persistent in writing up reviews and observations about shows, films, books and music I consume. I've been a bit distracted about doing that of late. So here is a short glimpse of Friday and Saturday nights' outings.

---

In theory I despise stage musicals or, more accurately, the people who are all gaga about them. So I surprised myself by accepting an offer to go with R_____ to see 42nd Street Moon's sparse but effective restaging of Coco with Andrea Marcovicci, who is sort of a non-diva diva. She was oddly an icon for my sister in her high school years when appearing as Dr. Betsy Chernak Taylor on the daytime soap Love Is a Many Splendored Thing set in an unusually bland early 1970s San Francisco.

Marcovicci generally got the role spot on with her subdued approach and shedding what seemed to be unrehearsed tears when singing "Always Mademoiselle". The first staging of the show in nearly 40 years, it reminded me that the Andre Previn score is a guilty pleasure up there with "I'll Plant My Own Tree".

I actually saw the show twice during its initial run. First with my grandmother in the winter of 1970, after which I drove my family crazy singing a la Hepburn "Who the devil kay-yours/What a woman way-yours?" The following summer I saw it with my sister, who was pursuing a sadly aborted fashion design career, when it starred the more appropriate Danielle Darrieux.


This clip of the original doesn't quite capture the flash of the mirrored stairs from the good seats we had. It all reminded me of old flagship store of Hall's in downtown Kansas City. My grandmother wore a get up not unlike Hepburn's. Change the skirt to slacks and lose the jewelry, and it could pass for Junk Thief 40 years later.

There was no mirrored staircase in the 42nd Moon production, but it brought back memories of the original. Apparently enough people want to share that memory, since it was announced that less than five percent of seat are still available during its run.

- - -

Also sold out for its run is Barcelona: Un Mapa, the first film I've ever seen in Catalan and bringing back wonderful memories of my November trip to Catalonia. Although it included an old man fond of dressing up as a woman, a fair amount of male full frontal nudity and surreal dialog, it had little in common with Almodóvar, Buñuel or other Spanish film makers. It was defiantly Catalonian and felt like a Pinter play directed by Bergman.

It was also nice to be introduced Pablo Derqui (on the left) who spent his scene wearing nothing but black brief. Nice to meet you Pablo.

While I can still only speak a handful of Catalan words, I am proud that I could immediately distinguish when the characters shifted from Catalan to Spanish

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

You seriously have ALL the fun.
:)

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - And to think it's all here, here in San Francisco...

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I LOVE Andrea--she's become a good friend of a close friend of mine (so I'm separated by one degree). She really is very sweet in person.

I so wanted to see this show, but I can't make it work with my schedule. (However, I am seeing "Last Call" at the Razz Room this weekend--so I don't feel I'm missing out on all the culture of The City... just most of it).

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Chris - I've seen her live shows a couple of times, and she does seem sweet, chatty and someone that I'd like to have as a friend. Also, at 59 she looks incredible. Enjoy the show at the Razz Room.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger WAT said...

Catalan. Sounds like Frenchified Castilian to me.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - It does sound that way at times. Sortida is the word for door, pan is pa, etc. All the same, the marriage of Spanish and French produce a lovely baby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home