Wednesday, April 23, 2008

But We Won't Be Watching the Olsen Twin Videos


After going gaga over the Georges Méliès inspired children's book The Invention of Hugo Cabret during the holidays and its Steampunk ethos, Junk Thief may have found a new kids lit book that speaks to him. Diary of Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney lacks the visual sophistication of Cabret, but as the above image shows, it speaks to something very primal and familiar. What is this all saying about Junk Thief if the most compelling new books are those aimed at the "tween" set?

To learn more, this article in New York this week is a good review of this newest submarket.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Hey JT you are right there. One of my favorite students from days past (I taught him for four years - two in pre-k, kindergarten and first grade) just turned 11. I asked him what he wanted me to get him and he said this book! Most excellent...and thanks for reminding me I said I would.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gary - Be sure to get it for him or he might beat you up with his embroidered book bag!

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

greg. Why did they have to name him greg?

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - Fortunately they did name him Greg not Gregg, so no one will know who the wimp is based on.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger WAT said...

HAHA! I love it. Cute cute cute.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Glad that you do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home