Thursday, September 04, 2008

I'm Voting for the Whirlwind Ticket

As eyes have pointed north this week to that lovely state that could fit 20 Delawares inside its borders and still have room for Monaco, Luxenbourg and some of McCain's ego, we now know far more about Wasilla than we do Chicago or Wilmington. Mudflats has this great photo safari of that town of fascination that will soon have its own Target.

Junk Thief has quite a few links to Alaska including Jewish cousins who were homesteaders and has always felt a weird affinity to this fish out of water state with so many fish to help employ its citizens who all could fit into the boundaries of San Francisco with room to spare for their assault rifles. However, if Junk Thief were to pick a Veep candidate from there, it would be Marilyn Whirlwind, a woman of few words that were profound when they did come. Something tells me she'd be on the side of the polar bears not Target.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Elaine Miles, who portrayed that character, came to give a lecture at the Portland Art Museum during...We Like Injuns Week, or whatever the hell that thing was. I was the AV guy there at that time.

So I'm sitting there babysitting an empty auditorium, and in she walks. She says, "I'm Elaine," with that same verbal shrug of the shoulders that she applied to every sentence she's ever uttered, I suspect.

What I had to tell her was that the lecture had been canceled, and no one had thought to tell her, apparently. She accepted this with the same shrug, and we sat there and chatted (she's Cayuse, which means that she's from the same part of the Northwest that I am) for an hour or so until she left, first autographing a head shot of herself for me.

Brush with greatness.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - I'm not worthy! Man, I'd love to meet her, hang out with her. She reminds me of some women I grew up with in Oklahoma, actually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home