Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Shameless


How does an unapologetic cat loving, dog hating person go to...you know, the "other side"? I'm not saying that I suddenly hate cats or anything, but they can seem like an inconvenience when you're doing the yard routine at 6:30 a.m. before heading out for an early appointment only to find a feline with attitude on the fence.

In the midst of all the current turmoil -- global and personal -- I've been wondering if at some point in my dotage I might decide to pursue a career as a dog walker/sitter or pursue it as a supplemental career in this new economy. In theory I still don't like yappy, slurpy or needy dogs. However, certain breeds that are canines yet not "dogs" are really calling out to me. Greyhounds, Italian greyhounds, basenjis (duh), whippets, and shiba inus are all on the top of my list.

Joy of Manhattan posted this "shameless" video this week, and I in turn have felt compelled to post this video of a shiba (that can be linked but not embedded) responding to a "roll over" command by mocking and repeating it instead of responding to it. For some reason it warms my heart deeply in these weird, uneasy times. I love canines with weird but sweet yet yearning voices but am unnerved by white fluffy dogs with shrill, yappy, needy, self-absorbed and clueless barks.

In theory, I'm not fond of huskies and the like but the video above tears me up after repeated viewings. Why canines and why now? Is it all about CHANGE and the Obama puppy?

At the same time, I really miss felines and have been watching Nora the piano playing cat in repeated viewings as well.

Speaking of Shiba Inus, here are some names that I feel should be pursued as drag names:

* Shiba Inu
* Boca Rotan
* Vista Point
* Chrissy Field
* Lunesta
* Boniva

Aninbus and Basenji, however, sound like metal thrasher bands to me.

In the meantime I am not sure what has teared me up more this week -- people who innocently ask, "I haven't seen Guru in a while, how's that sweet boy doing?" or the messages I keep getting from Michigan saying that Miss Bow is overcome with joy to know she's leaving behind the cold Upper Midwest winters for sunny California with what she hopes will be her new daddy. The name Bow is really growing on me as in red haired Clara Bow, the eternal IT Girl.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Blogger WAT said...

Well I do like the cats, but DOGS have me sold. They're really funny-looking adorable creatures that just make me smile and laugh time and time again.

This line made me laff: "Is it all about CHANGE and the Obama puppy?"

LMAO!

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - I think the Obama puppy will be a sweet creature, whatever it turns out to be. It was no surprise that it was revealed this week that Barney has a personality equal to Dick Cheney's.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Oooooooooh, I've fallen in love with Shiba Inus the past couple of years.

I only like very shorthaired dogs, really. Greyhounds are nice, but very high maintenance, I hear.

I would love a Viszla, and I have always had a soft spot for Dobermans (uncropped) and Doberman mixes like my beloved Brandy.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - Italian greyhounds (the little ones) can be needy but are sweethearts. Big greyhounds (the retired racing dogs) are wonderful and actually low maintenance. If you rescue one that's been retired from the track, you'll have a wonderful, easy companion.

Shibas share much in common with basenjis behavior-wise, though even more so. Left unattended, they can devour couches, pull out dry wall or perform other boredom induced acts. Also, they shed heavily. But, how could you get upseet with someone with such a cute face and voice?

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

Oh that Shiba who wouldn't roll over reminds of Basil so much! I agree there's something I just LIKE about a dog that has a little 'tude. (like I have a choice at my place? lol)

When does Miss Bow arrive? Can't WAIT to hear the stories!

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joy - I could watch that Shiba with attitude all day long until Bow arrives. No set date, but everything is being set in motion. She even has someone who will be accompanying her on the flight to hand her over to me. Something tells me she may have a diva syndrome that I will fuel even more.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

at some point I want to achieve a house where I can have cats and a dog living together in perfect harmony. but for now I'll happy with being periodic caretaker of dog and have my house full of old cats (who unfortunately are quite intolerant of being part of a peaceable kingdom)

I've met some very nice huskies, but they take a lot of training to get to be 'very nice'.....they shed a hell of a lot...not good for the obamas

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - I love huskies and Shibas in theory. Gorgeous and sweet with good training. I miss my cats, but not the litter box and shedding. Besides behavior challenges, basenjis are wonderful about being fastidious about keeping clean, virtually never shed and have almost no odor.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger ArtSparker said...

Maybe Dick Cheney's undisclosed location is inside Barney...I spent way too much time on the talking blogs videos at Youtube last night. Congratulations on the arriving addition to the household.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Susan - Apparently there has been so much testosterone in the Oval Office that even Barney has gone crazy.

Once Bow arrives, maybe you can make it over to the Mission and meet her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home