Thursday, December 04, 2008

Bow Is Back: Walking with the Big Boys

Hi everyone, it's Bow with another blog post.

Every day, I get a bit more confident about my home, my human and my walks. Those construction sites and loud trucks stress me out a bit, but I have a big walking buddy from down the street named Jam who is a Rottweiler/Shepherd mix. He's a rescue dog too, and I can react a bit to him when we first meet, but he's a calm guy with humans. I stress out at other dogs, joggers and cars. His issues are skate boarders (which I usually ignore) or yappy little dogs (I am on the same page with him on that one.)

I don't want to go off on a rant so early in my foster home, but foster dad said I can on this issue since he agrees with me whole heartedly. No dogs off leash on the sidewalks! Let me say that again. No dogs off leash on the sidewalks! More than once a dog off leash has come lunging and barking at me -- they have ranged from big nasty ones and even nastier little ones. As they come charging and growling, the guardian will smile and say (as the dog grits its teeth) "Oh, it's fine, he's a sweet dog." There are plenty of parks in the city where all the dogs can be off leash, and it's stupid, cruel and dangerous to have any dog off leash in the city at any time. I'd love to be off leash at all times too, but I'm learning that my foster dad has me on one for my protection. It doesn't help much with my learning process when there are so many other dogs charging at us off leash. We just strut over to the other side of the street.

Since I'm on a roll, I'll also say a word or two about people who see us on the street, say something nice like "Oh, she's such an adorable dog." That's fine, and I'm flattered. But then, without asking, they reach down and start trying to pet me. I'm not ashamed to snarl a little, but foster dad manages to say "Let her approach you first." But sometimes I have to beat him to the punch when people don't listen. Yesterday, I was walking with Jam, and a couple of six-year-olds ran towards us and wanted to pet us while their mom was oblivious. Jam's walker let them pet him, but they were screaming, "No, we want to pet the cute little red one with the curly tail." Foster dad kept me at a distant so those little no neck monsters didn't get close to me. Please, kiddos, you must treat a basenji princess with the respect she deserves.

Now, how would you feel if a stranger walked up to your daughter or girlfriend and started stroking her hair, saying, "Oh, you're just adorable. Your hair is so soft. I could just eat you up!" Praise me all you want, but show a little respect, restraint and understanding of personal space. I may be 70 pounds smaller than Jam, but if someone gets too close to me they will learn that I can hold my own.

Okay, enough of my ranting. (By the way, that's not actually Jam since I want to protect his privacy, but it could pass for him. However, that gorgeous red head is me.)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

Bow, I agree 100% on all points. The leash is a no-brainer and really people need to train their human children (and themselves) to ASK before trying to pet ANY strange dog. It's not only common sense, it's good manners. I say if they are rude, you SHOULD bare your teeth at them. It's hard to be a precious princess AND a Diva all at the same time, isn't it honey?

p.s. I love that you already have a big ol' boy to walk with... nice work!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joy - Thanks. I can tell you're an experienced walker. You and Basil should come out and walk with Jammer and me. That would show those little ankle biters who's boss!

Jam is really a sweet guy. His guardian said that big, black dogs are usually the last ones to get adopted from shelters because people mistake them for being mean and difficult. Having gotten to know Jam over the past couple of weeks, I can tell you he's a sweetie and gentleman who let's me sniff his private parts all I want. (Oh, I'm a princess but not too good to do that.)
- Bow

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Not just anyone gets an audience with Bow, the basenji princess. Really, these people can be so gauche.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - They'll learn, and I'll try to be more patient with them.
- Bow

 

Post a Comment

<< Home