Friday, December 05, 2008

(Re)Playing Favorites


When I was six, I had a great idea for the holidays. I went through all of my favorite cards sent to us by our family and friends, crossed out there names, wrote in mine, and started handing them out. Junk Thieves start at an early age. My mother was horrified, but I am glad that I held on to many of them. These are just the tip of the iceberg.

For years I harbored dreams of being a greeting card designer and even sent to Hallmark for their application packet a couple of times right out of college. But, alas, they were not struck by my talents. All the same, the life of a card designer had a wonderful, mysterious appeal to me though I know it would likely turn out to be a grind.

As much as the cards, it's some of the names that fascinate me today: Oma, Averill, Cleta, Aswin, and other you just don't here today.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Names of persons or antidepressants? One could play a game of this using these wonderful old names...

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - Two Averills a day and a shot of Cleta keeps the blues away.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I'm not sure any of those names ever really took hold outside of Oklahoma. Maybe it's like the prototype testing lab for names -- if they fail there, they never make it across the border.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - That's a fitting comment, since for many years Oklahoma was the top product testing market in the country. I guess they figured that if a few people died from new hair colors or breakfast cereals out on the prairie there wouldn't be much of a fuss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home