Friday, January 16, 2009

Goodbye Mr. Wyeth

Between the Inaugural, Bush's farewell address and the Hudson River seeming to recreate Hitchcock's The Birds, many people missed the news today of the passing of Andrew Wyeth at ate 91. Wyeth was an early favorite artist until I thought I was too sophisticated and started aping attitudes in Artforum and critiqued him as being to sentimental and bourgeois. One of the first prints I bought in college years, above, was a Wyeth that many have lambasted me for its melancholy (echoes of the previously mentioned print in the kitchen). I always defended it as being contemplative and meditative.

I've not come completely full circle on Wyeth but appreciate him much more than I did in my mid-20s when I could not be bothered with someone so middle class. It's not as if I am embracing the works of Thomas Kincaid, mind you.

I was also fond of the Wyeth parody in Rolling Stone in the mid-1970s of "Tanya's World" during the height of mania over the Patty Hearst "kidnapping". I wonder if Patty has any Wyeths?
UPDATE: In part to prove the provenance of the above mentioned Wyeth print, here is Junk Thief 27 years ago in his 19th floor Midwest pied a tierre with the same print in the background, just left of center. The various copies of Artforum in the background suggest that this was just before the print went into storage and was replaced to be a more appropriate accoutrement with the Breuer chairs, round vase and peacock feathers. However, we promise that it was not replaced with a Nagel print even if Duran, Duran was in heavy rotation on the Technics turntable, as that 'do of the moment suggests.

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Lora said...

I went to college in Wyeth country. His work is beautiful, as is the area.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Lora - Lucky you. That sounds much more engaging than going to a state school in the Midwest.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

The line I have quoted before: "Hi, I'm Charlton Heston. You know, as an actor, I care a lot about painting." -as possibly being the greatest opening line of any documentary ever - was the introduction to the 'Helga' show at Portland Art Museum that was my second exhibit there.

I still have a print of "Barracoon" that I really like. It's spare, and more a sketch than anything else. I like "Her Room", too: it's a lot like photos that I've tried to take, just capturing light.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - Empty rooms, quirky light and people staring blankly into space are all what I love about Wyeth. Hmm, based on the comments that I never smile in photos, perhaps I should have posed for him.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Why are you mocking the Painter of Light!?

Sorry to hear about Wyeth. I was never familiar with much of his work other than Christina's World, but it's always sad to hear of the passing of a great.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - I am NOT mocking him. From what I've read about Christina, she had a pretty sad life. Many of his characters had similar melancholy. I'm glad I came back to appreciate his work as well as that of his dad and son, Jamie.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Joe said...

No, no... sorry, I was being sarcastic: Painter of Light refers to Thomas Kincaide.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - When it comes to Thomas Kinckaide, we can definitely share our sarcasm.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

When the lady and I found ourselves in Monterey, we nearly went to Tom K.'s museum he has dedicated to himself, but we just weren't drunk enough.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rick - I don't think there's that much booze in the world to endure going there. But I do like the image of a bus load of drunks arriving at his museum.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

Re: Kincaid - good for jigsaw puzzles, not much else.
Re: Wyeth - I think the Helga's are so eerie and yet cool.
Re: Young JT - holy guacamole baby, whatta piece o' ass! ;)

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joy -

Kincaid - Not even good for jigsaws
Wyeth - It's the eerie in Wyeth that is part of his appeal to me.
Young JT - I'm not sure that was true, but I got more of it back in the day.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

(SWOON!)

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - Oh, sure.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Still no smile! WOW!

"HER NAME IS RIOOOOOOO AND SHE DANCES ON THA SAND! JUST LIKE THE RIVER TWISTING THRU THE DUSTY LAND..."

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - If I wanted a portrait with a smile I would have gone to Owen Mills.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home