Saturday, February 14, 2009

Interactive V-Day: Your Wheels Oughta Be in Pictures

Back in the day, Saturday nights were about plucking nose hairs, pumping a bit of iron to make sure the T-shirt fit just right and then heading out into the glory of the night. I can't complain that I'm spending this Valentine's Day with someone who makes my heart pump with unconditional love, even if it's a gorgeous female of the four-legged variety. Love comes from the most unexpected places.

And what would my life have turned out to be when I was in my twenties if we'd had this whole interwebs thingy back then? This week, Bryce Digdug did a great post about his discovery of the Internet Movie Car Database. Is there also an Internet Movie Shoe Database and an Internet Broadway Cologne Database out there? Oh, please tell me that there isn't, or if there is just don't send me the link. I've got dusting that needs to be done! But for now, we really need to have a complete inventory of every car in Vertigo and Vanishing Point and every film in which a Pinto or Gremlin appeared. Is it more disturbing that someone took time to create this thing or that we will all plumb its sweaty depths? I don't really care, all I am concerned about is asking my three follower if they'd like to join in this game.

I'll show you mine first, now show me yours.

Here are the rules.

1. Post a photo of every car you've ever owned.

2. Under it list the years you owned it and one of the films or TV shows in which it appeared.

3. Strive to match the color, exact model and year of issue. But if you can't be exact, go as close as you can. In my case, except for my virgin ride, all of mine are a year or color off. But I'm damned close in each case.

4. Let's make this friggin' thing go virile! Tell every friend, Friendster contact in Manila, and person that notified you that you just won in the UK lottery and let's see if we can make this a Facebook application. Hell, I might even find the person who made me give it up in the back of that 1960 Valiant station wagon the night of our senior prom in 1974. Or wait, did I make that person give it up to me?

I'm sure that there is something very Freudian about the dates, vehicles and their screen appearances below. Also feel free to dish and analyze my psyche. (I still greatly miss that Wrangler and thought I was the hottest thing on four wheels when I owned it.)

Footnote: 1989 - 1992 were the Manhattan/Brooklyn years when I was gloriously carless.
1997 - Present - Desperate Housewives.

1993 - 1997 - Redline

1984- 1988 - Johnny Handsome
1979 - 1983 - To Live and Die in L.A.
1974 - 1978 - Zycie na Goaco
1973- 1974 - Fury of the Dragon

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Man people got too much time on their hands! A movie car database? One for shoes?!

UNREAL!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Well, I'm not sure about there being one about shoes, but I'm sure there is one about all the ones worn in "Sex and the City".

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

well this is great fun.... I'm going to have to really work on this if I want to play...

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - Though aren't you "carless" these days? That's the best way to be in my book. I drive my old Saturn less than 100 miles a month, and I've even been thinking about renting those Zip-cars with free parking spaces around town to do errands and leave an even smaller carbon footprint.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

yes, i am currently carless - going on my 3rd year anniversary....but between 21 (when I got my first car) and 51 (when I had my last car) I did have a few cars including the notorious exploding ford pinto (I had this car less than a year, hated it from the get go but my dad said he would loan me money for a car then wanted control over what car I bought.... I sold the car to my future father in law who had it for 3 months and before my future sister in law totaled - fortunately it did not explode rather she was pouring a drink out the window while turning a corner, hit a curb and caused the car to flip a couple times - yeah I know way too much information, but what a tale)

the car I bought with the money I got from selling piece of crap pinto was a vw squareback (loved that car) though sold it when I moved from texas to ct (actually f sold his vw bus and I sold my vw squareback) and we reduced our vehicles down to 1 car a brand new 1980 subaru! we lived with one vehicle for about two years in new haven, then got to a point where we felt we needed two cars and I found a wonderful 1976 vw rabbit which I then drove until it developed a mysterious electrical problem and was forced to sell it because no one could find out why the car would just suddenly die (it was really scary when it died when you were driving on the interstate at a high rate of speed).... so in 1990 I bought a used 1984 peugot wagon (mistake only kept it for 2 years - this was the proverbial money down the rat hole car).... next car was a new 1992 vw jetta.....loved this car...and was the first of three jettas that f and I owned.... my last car was a 1994 jetta.... so that's the story of my cars... by the way the pinto, rabbit and 1992 rabbit were all blue cars...

my last jetta died just a bit shy of 200,000 miles....okay now that I wrote the short history of my cars I don't feel the need to find photos.... I went to the site and realize it's way too much work, which speaking of lunch break is over and I should now get back to work.....

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kim - That's quite a history, and I admire your decision to go off the car grid. I contemplate the same or at least a hybrid. But since I drive so little and my car has been paid off for nearly seven years, I feel that I am doing the next best thing even if it doesn't help auto workers in Michigan.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger ArtSparker said...

Rent Bottle Shock For Allan Rickman in...well, I think it's the same as that black one...a gremlin?

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Susan - How ironic that I just came home with some new DVDs that I purchased, and that's one of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home