Friday, April 24, 2009

Interactive Friday: We're Changing Our Name to: Junk Thief!

Apparently the biggest buzz about the new Kia Soul! is not its performance or appearance but the exclamation point in its marketing. We wrote here earlier about similar use (sometimes late in the game) for movies like Tora! Tora! Tora!, Star!, Hello Dolly! and Boom! Sometimes marketed at BOOM!!!!

While the ampersand is often celebrated here, the exclamation point and ellipses are two of the most annoying forms of punctuation. What do you consider to be some of the worst overuses of exclamation points in marketing? I've heard rumors that Sarah Palin's return to the national stage is going to be fueled by rebranding herself as Sarah! Palin!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I personally love the perfume called Dzing!, and the exclamation is totally appropriate.

I also LOVE ellipsis (ellipses?)... and I use them frequently. Please don't hold it against me.

I've also been known to use more than one exclamation point, but it's usually in an effort to avoid using an expletive or epithet.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - I guess my problem with the ellipsis is that it feels like I'm writing "duh" and "you know". But it has it's place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home