Friday, April 08, 2011

Dropping Judgment, the Search for the Perfect Green, and Adrift in the Universe

Do you check your Myers-Briggs or ennegram type regularly? I forget where I am on the latter, but I consistently come out either INTJ or ENTJ. I've always been told that I am over the top on intuitiveness. The highest possible ranking.In the days before I had to say goodbye to Bow, my level of judging (the signature J of INTJ and ENTJ) was over the top. Since she departed, it seems to have dropped almost completely. I find a tolerance for the most tedious of personalities that usually grate on me. I also seem to have a heightened awareness of the color green. In the wake of the winter rains, all plant life is either blooming or emerald green.
I've always been fond of this building at 20th and Valencia, but it seemed to be even closer to the perfect shade of green tonight.
It and many other green things seemed to be calling out to me this morning.
The afternoon I saw the life leave Bow's body, I felt I saw my own life leaving with her. I say that not in some mournful, tragic or even regretful way. My life as defined during my two and half years with her seemed to be departing with her as well as everything that had come up to that point in my life. With Bow gone, I knew that I could not return to who I was before she entered my life.
When the life exited her body, I did not feel a need to linger. I knew that she was walking out of the vet's office with me. Like all basenjis, Bow always wanted to be clean and odorless, and it seemed so appropriate that her remains be cremated.
In a few days her ashes will return. I keep saying that in this interim, I have trusted her to be watched over by the Universe until her sacred remains return. I feel that I am out there in the Universe right now. I have felt grief, but more I have felt that I am in transition, waiting for her sacred ashes to return and to be in their eternal resting place.
When I got in tonight, I got a message from one of Bow's first foster moms who said that she had been verbally and physically abused for years before she came into rescue. I knew she had a difficult life before she came to me, but I never knew this. The fact that she was always such a loving, trusting, obedient girl when she was me was a reminder that we may put too much stock in the impact of the past. She was able to let it go and be a very different creature with me. I am thinking about that tonight as I feel that I am trusting the Universe to watch over her and me until we are reunited. We had a past together, and I feel that she will be there in some way in the future.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Great post...that 20th & Valencia building is incredible. I can't imagine why anyone would be abusive to a child or an animal....and I am glad to read that Bow was a perfectly happy with you.
I imagine getting the ashes back will be another challenging day. It was for me! I've never been able to scatter ashes yet. It's oddly comforting to keep them (to me).
SF has beautiful scenery!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Gary said...

My dog was a neglected, possibly abused girl too (although retained some mental scars from all of this) but couldn't possibly have been more loving.

So, what does all the green mean? I wonder...

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gary - It's amazing how dogs can forgive humanity and regain trust.

I think the green may mean there is still so much life out there to be enjoyed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home