Sunday, April 29, 2007

Another Chapter Closes


Why surely you didn't think JunkThief could make a swing through the Heartland without a visit to the mothership of all things junk, Lazy Acres, did you? While this will not be my last trip here, it's one that marks the close of one major chapter. My sister and I did a final walk through before the estate sale team descends tomorrow morning. Beginning with the close of the holiday season, we began sifting through those things to keep, those to store and those to sell. It all climaxed in the Great Junk Sort featured on the epic two part JunkThief TV episode #19.

Closing this chapter is a bittersweet. It will be nice not having to worry about ALL that stuff but also a chore to sort through the things I have claimed and will be taking to California. And after always seeing my mother's house as the model of well ordered perfection with everything alphabetized and color coded, the sorting has turned it into our own Grey Gardens minus the racoons but with a few impromptu fashion shows.

Seeing her purple irises in bloom brought back many positive memories of this time of year and convinced me to transplant some more. For whatever reason, past ones that I've lugged across the Mojave have lived but not blossomed.

Finding a bag of the 2003 crop already has me misty eyed about saying farewell to the 25 pecan trees on the property. It's not the same buying a bag at Trader Joe's that I used to be able to have fresh from the trees my grandfather planted in 1957.

While sorting through some of the last few jewels, I came across some stray accouterments from Halloweens past and snapped these shots. Perhaps this should be the new signature photo for JunkThief. Whaddya think?



Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

The waxed mustache is definatly a look.
Are the specs your regulars? I like 'em...

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Scot said...

Like the new look!
My bearded iris are blooming, although mostly the yellow ones. One of the purple is blooming right now. The ones in more direct sun seem to be doing better. They like a lot of water and an occational hit of Miracle Grow.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

SALTY - Glad you like the new look. My sister said it reminds her of the Italian waiter in "Lady in the Tramp." Not bad for a Jewish/French boy.

SCOT - My yard is definitely sun challenged, despite major pruning of the junipers last summer. Miracle Grow! In SF the organic gardeners threaten to throw you in the compost heap if you even hint at using such stuff. Sometimes I will sneak it in, sort of the gardener's version of having a burger now and again in PC-ville.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Eva the Deadbeat said...

Hye JunkThief!

i am gonna be in SF in early June. Wanna go junking/deadbeating round town?!

Eva

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Eva the Deadbeat said...

PS those irises are so pretty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home