Friday, September 21, 2007

Have a Pluckin' Good Yom Kippur

On what day do rural Haitians and Upper East Side Jews have a great deal in common? Why, today, Yom Kippur, the day of atonement, when traditional rabbis often hold a chicken above their heads for sacrifice.

In personal ads, I often note that I am religious but not spiritual. That's the handy thing about being a Unitarian with its Piccadilly Cafeteria approach to religion. You can pretty much pick whatever you want and never have to go to confession or hear sermons about sin. I love all the pageantry, costumes and rituals of various religions provided I don't have to get all spiritual. Give me costumes, sets and lines and I'm always up for a performance. However, I draw the line when it comes to killing chickens.

In addition to being one half Jewish I am also an amateur juju man. My powers are great, but like Mothra I only destroy to save the word. So if you're a fire breathing lizard, consider yourself warned. Otherwise have a jolly, holly Yom Kippur and atone like it's 1999!

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 6:24 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

great post!love the chicken connection. I can identify w/ your 'religious' world view, personally I latched on to embracing the idea that I am a pantheist - the unitarians seem to be a bit too organized for me. other than that liken the notion of god to physics. sholem aleykham

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kimy - I agree with you on Unitarianism. Nice, intellectual "sermons" that are more like academic lectures. Logical, organized and dreary, dreary music. Wacky as those evangelicals can be politically, they have some great get down music. So I can enjoy it as theater until I hear the insanity of what they are preaching.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Scot said...

The first paragraph was glorious. That's all I need, the holiday is done for me. Thank you

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Scot said...

Sorry, change of costume for the day (see profile pic).

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Scot - Your ability to play both Jesus and Tevye really impresses me. Perhaps we should submit both of our profile photos to perform Fiddler at a dinner theater in Oxnard. Free drinks and prime rib included. I think I've earned the Tevye gravitas.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Scot said...

Dinner Theater in Oxnard. Wow.
On a tangent, out favorite oximoran growing up was "Oxnard College". I think we were the only family that had a favorite oximoran.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Scot - Poor Oxnard is sort of the Antioch or Redwood City of Southern Cal -- a place we've all been through briefly but never spent any time there. Or maybe it's the Newark of the west. I think I stopped there once to put gas in a rental car, but I mainly know it as the butt of jokes. Hey, for all I know they may have the best dinner theaters around. Even worse, I grew up in a suburb in the Midwest called Moore, and of course the joke was that all locals were Moorons. Har, har. It got really old.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger WAT said...

NA LA, NA GUI LA HA LA, NA GUI LA HA LA, NA GUI LA EY...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home