Thursday, September 20, 2007

Exactly - More Travels on My Tricyle

Exactly: 10 Beavers, 9 Fairies, 8 Dreams, 7 Knights, 6 Princesses, 5 Dogs, 4 Otters, 3 Old Men, 2 Robots, 1 Traveling Shoe & Everything Else It Takes to Make a Great Children's Story Book (More or Less)

That' s the title of the book I decided to nab this evening by getting on my tricycle and heading over toe 826 Valencia Street. Those not acquainted with this place that claims to be the best pirate supply store in San Francisco should check it out. I've actually been thinking about volunteering there for quite some time. Besides helping out kids 8-18, I wouldn't mind spending some time around the yummy staffers such as the young pirate dude that rang me up. Somehow, when he asked for my PIN, it seemed to take on multiple meanings. Much as I wanted to linger, it was closing time and this Long John Silver was pulling up the gangplank just after I bought my book. I don't buy that many children's books, but this one filled with legends and fables had been calling out to me. (Shameless Shout Out: By the way, Gary of Follow Your Bliss, if you don't already know this book and 826, I think they're both something you might want to add to your recommended lists.)

I had to restrain myself from taking a shot of the young pirate and the famed furless cat at Borderland Books down the street. It really is as ugly and creepy looking as I'd heard. But I needed to head home, so I was pedaling pretty hard and cursing at those darn people with shopping carts and three abreast yppies that kept getting in my way.
Uh, Kittie, there's something you need to know about Randy...
The Peugeot makes it feel even more like la Défense in Paris.
This is where I'll be trick-or-treating this year. Just love those cynide apples!
So that's where he left it.
Vin Diesel still denies he posed for this, but I know better.
United, yes, but for what aim? Where's their baseline data, their measurable objectives?
A good motto most weekends on my corner.
Jackson Pollock lives!
Nine out of ten locals prefer it to Chez Panisse.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Thats it I'm getting a truck and calling it Chez Panisse.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

And if anyone questions if your contents are fresh and local, you can say "It was fresh and local where I picked it up."

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Trevor Messersmith said...

I love these kinds of random street findings...I'm glad you were able to see them in your own 'hood...I can only see them when I travel elsewhere. I'm too busy keeping track of all the local businesses getting pushed out for chain stores to notice street details in my neighborhood...

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

T$ - We are one of the few up-and-coming SF neighborhoods that has resisted the completed malling of our businesses. But it could all change overnight in a place where $1 million is what you need for a starter home.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger jason said...

I love that photo of the guitar case!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention. I looked it up on Amazon.com but was not able to get too much information. I will surely check it out next time I get to the book store. It is a fantastic idea and a wonderful project for these students. I look forward to reading it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home