Saturday, January 19, 2008

Polk Me Right Thar, Like I Likes It

Polk is one of my favorite nouns and proper names. Polk Strasse. President Polk. Polk salad. Tony Joe and this song figured very heavily in my puberty and endorsement of the line "Neil Young is a liar." If Nashville could still produce tunes like this and the Lee Hazlewood catalog, I'd be a huge C&W fan. Tim McGraw looks great in tight jeans and T-shirts, but his music is pretty Bleh.He's no Tony Joe "Gator's got your granny" is a lyric Sondheim only dreams of. The only other song that comes close is "Nutbush City Limits". This is the real McCoy.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:52 AM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

Yes, Gator's got your granny is a great line. Elvis sings it in the movie "Elvis, the Way it Is." Origially a sort of Elvis Babylon documentary with nerdy fans it was re-released and chopped to bits. I have the album.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

As far as country music is concerned, it's divided into two camps: Hank Williams Sr. and Hank Williams Jr.

In my opinion (and yours it seems):
HW Sr.= great
HW Jr.= beh

Great tune-thanks for posting. :)

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - Elvis also did a pretty good cover of "Never Been to Spain".

Jill - Is it beh of bleh? There's also now a HW III. I've seen a couple of clips of him, and he's better than dad, no where equal to grandpa. Tim McGraw: I'd go see him if he were a stripper, dancing to Tony Joe's and Mr. Hazlewood's music.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger cb said...

I grew up in Polk County, Iowa

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

CB - I think every state has some sort of Polk. SF has Polk Street, of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home