Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Twenty-eight and Falling

Junk Thief always laughs at people in San Francisco who say the weather is "cold," "frigid," "freezing," even "arctic". (He doubles over in convulsive howls at that one.)

"Freezing" = temperatures of 32 Fahrenheit and below. It never gets below 33 in San Francisco.

It's 28 in Seattle and going down the scale. Fantastic! Junk Thief loves winter and winter clothes. He wishes they'd design more tropical weight charcoal linen for the horrid summer months. Taking a quick break between appointments, Junk Thief breezed into University Village Shopping Center to kill 15 minutes. He'd not walked into a J. Crew in ages. They say the Gap is out of touch, but what's up with J. Crew these days.? The clerks freaked when they heard Junk Thief let out a slight shriek when he saw a display of tropical fruit ice cream rugby shirts. "They are a bit...gaudy," one of the clerks offered.

Why can't everyone wear gray, black, brown and subdued blues year-round? It would be a much happier world. Pastels and tropical colors are always so depressing.

Did Junk Thief mention that he recently called it off with a 28-year-0ld? There wasn't that much going on, and the 28-year-old was not that much to talk about and lived in Benecia. The bridge and tunnel trade was mildly amusing in the 1990s but downright ridiculous in this 21st Century. The main thing is the satisfaction of being able to tell a 28-year-old thanks but no thanks.

Twenty-eight was the Junk Thief's age when he bought his first house around this time of this year...in that year...he bought his first house. You can do the math yourself to figure out the exact year.

Twenty-eight was the gate where Junk Thief caught the plane to Seattle at 6:30 a.m. (urgh). It was supposed to be at gate 22, but there was never an announcement. When Junk Thief asked if they were still boarding, the 60ish agent muttered, "Yes...yes..." and then, like a mantra. "It's crashing, crashing. It's going down, all the way down to the ground."

"Excuse me," Junk Thief asked, awake enough to need just a tad of clarity on this somewhat disconcerting announcement.

"The stock market. It's crashing. I'll be working at this dead end job for another 25 years!"

(Photos from the trip to come, we hope, when the days are a little less packed than today and tomorrow.)

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger WAT said...

28. The age at which Heath Ledger just died.

UGH!

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger jason said...

Gosh, but there are a lot of numbers in that post.
All of them depressing.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Honey, I imagine you've broken a lot of hearts in your time, you handsome devil, you. ;)
Get back safely!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - I saw your comment before the news. Sad.

Jason - That's why I always hated math.

Salty - Yes, but usually my own. My tough stance is but a thin veneer.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Will you be stopping in Portland? If so, you'll email, I trust?

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - Sadly, Portland's just a fly over this trip, but I plan to get up there probably in the spring. I've not been since last May, so I'm overdue. Geez, I thought you and Aunty were in Saskatoon...

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Whoops. You're right. Medicine Hat, actually.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - What a coincidence! I have a vacation home in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. I get up there mainly in January and February.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Regarding calling it off (the whole thing): You say "Benicia," I say, "Kick to the curb." Then again, I'm not known for giving the sagest dating advice. 28 year olds certainly have some merits.

Do you really have a vacation home in Whitehorse?

Speaking of which, I don't know if IT'S freezing, but I know that I'M freezing in this blustery, rainy weather we're having. And you know what Mark Twain said about San Francisco temperatures. I'm inclined to agree with him. I do enjoy a bit of real wintry weather, or even snow (which I've not seen in far too long), but usually when I'm not in a state that bills itself as "Golden."

Lord, I didn't know anyone still wore rugby shirts, period! And how do you feel about subtle greens in addition to subtle blues? A coworker was earlier admiring my chocolate brown sweater atop a sage-green buttondown shirt. My kind of color scheme as well. I needed some wool today, because did I mention that I'm freezing?!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Gary said...

A post chock full of information. I love how you started out with the weather and I thought it was going with 28'F shifted to 28 Y.O. Well, I just went to J.Crew the other day and bought three shirts - grey, blue/white rugby and a purple/pink button up. (Oh, don't you mean wear instead of where?)

As for winter I am with you there. I love the chill in the air as long as I don't have to scrap the ice off of my car at 5:30in the morning.

And finally, good for you saying ta ta to the 28 year old. Youth is vastly overrated at times.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Scot said...

I'd be reluctant to date a 28 ear old for any length of time, and I'm 30....
Would have loved to hear your shriek and see the following display in J Crew. I'v e stopped going into the store; I look at a shirt and it makes me want to vomit, but then it looks like someone has already beaten me to the punch.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

have fun in seattle. I hope you are booking a trip to cleveland soon - so you can really get back in touch with what a real winter feels like! well, of course with your vacation home in whitehorse, I know you are tough enough for the north coast!

geez my e is 28.... you cradle snatcher. no seriously at our age, age what does it matter?

but with all the 28 here in this post I'd say it should be your daily number.

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate Seattle. Seattle is the stupidest city in the Western Hemisphere.

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, I wear rugby shirts.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

K~J - Wet and 37 in San Francisco is much colder than 28, dry and sunny in Seattle. Thanks for confirming I'm not a jerk for dumping someone from Benecia. It could have been Antioch. I grew up in suburbia but had the good sense to flee.

Gary - I'm not opposed to rugby shirts per se, just screaming pastels.

Scot - What happened to J. Crew? Or have I just outgrown them?

Kim - It ultimately was about Benecia and a boring personality, not being 28.

Angry - My, but you're angry! Rugby shirts are fine. Seattle is dumber than San Francisco? Oh, I'd argue with you on that one. What's the stupidest city in the Eastern Hemisphere? I hear Baku is missing a lot of gray matter.

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you're all into the precision these days, Thiefy, may I suggest we San Franciscans refer to ourselves and our weather as "chilly." It would correspond to a lot of complaints I've heard about our collective personality as well. Warm on the outside, cold in the inside.

It's not winter so much that I hate as the early darkness. Something about there still being daylight, OK twilight, at 8:30 p.m. warms my S.A.D. little heart. I can't wait until April!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Huntington - Good point. I agree chilly describes our weather. I think the people, though, are more like crescent rolls - flakey on the outside, hollow inside. I'm not very purist on warm weather, though. Anything above 60 is too darn hot in my book. However, I agree with you on wanting a return of light.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home