Friday, June 20, 2008

Who Has Wings?

It's not very often I find something that brings me to tears, but hearing the radio broadcast of the PBS News Hour while wheeling down the 101 this afternoon did that. There was the tale of the Boyer family in Iowa and the plight of their 3,000 pigs in the recent floods. A tragic attempt to let them loose didn't work, and 300 of them were discovered later with initial euphoria that descended into further tragedy. It reminded me of the various reasons I don't eat pork, and this certainly reconfirmed it. I pass no judgment on Farmer Boyer who showed tremendous compassion for his livestock, and I feel great empathy for him as well. His ultimate decision was horrific but humane. It put might gripes about the current heat in San Francisco in proper perspective. There was a warning of the graphic nature of the story that was chilling just as audio. I don't know if I have the nerve to watch it when it airs in a half hour.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Not only was that tough to listen to every person on that report, including the reporter, has a lateral lisp.

It was like listening to a report from Pinky Lee.

It is a horrible situation.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - The plight of the pigs was so so sad I must have missed the lisp.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home