Sunday, September 07, 2008

Art Where You Least Expect It

Bryce Digdug and I connected this afternoon for a matinee, a Pinter play...actually it was the movie Beautiful Losers about street culture artists, many with skate boarder or graffiti style backgrounds. It was a pleasantly rambling, high energy documentary with a rocking randomness.

I'd not been up to the Polk in a while, and it seems the hooker/heroin addict count was down. Another sign of the recession?

I did encounter a few interesting signs of street life and the arts along my way. Whiskey Thieves? I'm not sure I've encountered too many of them or if they would have an affinity with Junk Thieves. But we'll see.

It was also a bit of a surprise that the San Francisco Opera is now performing over at the Mitchell Brothers O'Farrell Theater. Hmmm, are they retrofitting the War Memorial Audiorium again?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 4:33 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

definitely have to keep an eye out for beautiful losers.... and mention it to the guy who runs the cleveland cinematheque

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - It's a fun movie. I especially loved learning about Dragon Park in Nashville the looks like a modified Parc Guell.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you know Amy Tan's opera is about to premiere at the S.F. Opera. She's a feisty one, so maybe she decided Bonesetter's Daughter made more sense at Mitchell Bros.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Huntington - So that - ahum - is what a "bonesetter" is. You obviously know all the street lingo of the Polk.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it was my village for nine years. As Margaret Cho once said, the aroma of ball sweat in fishnets gets me nostalgic.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Huntington - I try to avoid that smell in general.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home