Sunday, September 07, 2008

Mission Blood

After about a dozen years of living in the Mission, I've seen my share of gang violence and drive-by shootings that I've grown to not be too wary. But the number and proximity of recent ones is a bit spooky. Not being a member of Hell's Angels, having no visible gang member tattoos and usually not roaming the streets at 4:45 a.m. on a weekend, I don't feel I would be a likely target but could be the proverbial bystander caught in the crossfire.

Some business are saying they are ready to leave the neighborhood, ironically just as Sushi Bistro and other Noe Valley-esque spots are just arriving.

About six months ago there was a similar shooting right under the bay window where Guru watches street theater that did not result in a fatality but was spooky enough to make me extra diligent.

Well, I am sure that many of you are wanting yet another update on the boy. Now on our fourth day, the bonding is definitely on the fast track, but I'm becoming more aware of the extent of his special needs. The basenji rescue network has been very supportive, but the whole psychological make up of his previous household are emerging. He was a support dog to a disabled woman who let him rule the house and never socialized him with other dogs and very few people. Raised as strictly a house and yard dog in suburban Sacramento, his sudden arrival in San Francisco has been a huge shock to him. Our first few walks went fine, but this evening we came seriously close to disaster when we passed other dogs and he was on sensory overload as a MUNI bus, the singing and tambourine in the Hispanic Pentecostal church hit a crescendo, a low rider with a ghetto blaster passed and the guy with the yapping chihuahua started screaming at the pooch and me.

That hasn't nixed my hope to make it a permanent home for Guru, but it's obviously going to require some work. Seeing what an angel and love muffin he is when we're inside alone gives me the desire to rise to the challenge and tap into the resources to make it happen. As they say, it takes a village to raise a basenji.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

Greg, Guru's face is KILLING me! He's so gorgeous I want to take a bite out of him.... but you know, in a good way not in a "I want to eat your dog" way.... Okay, none of that sounds right. Hmmm.

Have you watched The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel? Lots of good tips to be found there on how to help him with his transition to the Junkplex and city life. He really is so regal.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joy - Ain't he a handsome boy? I'm looking forward to our big meet up so I can get some tips from you and Basil. I hope you won't be offended when I take Basil aside and ask, "Okay, what does she really do to you?" I bet Basil and Guru will soon be emailing each other and sharing tips on how to "handle" us.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Yes, he will learn soon. Patience.

This is a great pic of you and Guru. Artistic even.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Guru = artistic, handsome, serene. Junk Thief = supporting player to his majesty Guru.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Ah, what a cute portrait! Of Guru as well!

He's got that look in his eyes that a friend of mine used to anthropomorphize as, "'Scuse me... but does that have chicken in it?"

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - Chicken? I've not dared to walk him by the famous cannibal pork store. Talk about "Mission Blood"!

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

Guru is so cute!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - Just my luck to get upstaged by an African dingo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home