Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Rescue Basenji: Almost One Month

Almost every free minute of the past two days since coming back from Manhattan has been dedicated to moving into month two with Guru. After a great dry run with his sitter the previous week when I went to L.A., I was convinced that it would be smooth sailing while I was in New York for four days. It was a disaster, with aggressive behavior and the sitter saying he could not continue the relationship when I am in Portland next week.

When I called the rescue group to seek alternatives, she said that there was no one in the network that could take him on. Then, after a long sigh, she said, "It sounds like we will have to have him put down." I refused to accept this as an option and pushed her, demanded of her that she seek every option to not make this happen. After a few half hearted options offered by her, I spent a couple of hours on the phone seeking out every high end behaviorist and sitter in town, all of whom are far more skilled and three times as expensive as the previous affable but not highly skilled previous sitter.

Tonight, as he sits next to me in his favorite crescent moon position, it's hard to see how anyone could even consider having him "put down" as an option. We are not out of the woods, and I have yet to sign on the dotted line. My hope is that soon I will sign on the dotted line to make him a permanent part of this household. Regardless, I am intent to be part of making certain that he will be able to have a full, well adjusted life in a loving home -- whether that is mine or someone else's.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

sorry to hear the latest sitter was such a disaster.....I will send up good vibes....good trainers are worth their weight in gold! an investment now will bring big benefits later!!!

I have no doubt you will do the best for guru....can't believe the rescue group person said that! rescue....you say....

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - Thanks for the support. So far, the new sitter is much more skilled and resourceful, but we're not out of the woods yet. I know this will be a long road, but I think he's worth it. Last night as I wrote this with him curled up next too me in his sleepy time crescent position, it was hard to see him as anything but a keeper.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Oh no, Guru missed you I suppose. I was wondering how things went while you were away. Sorry the sitters were not all that you had seemed to believe they were. I'm happy that Guru has you on his side.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gary - Thanks, there are times he tests my limits, but when he's sweet, he is so sweet. I keep trying to use your approaches with your class when we have respect and manners issues.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger WAT said...

AW! He is worth saving!

Beautiful animal.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - I'm doing everything possible, including another vet visit this morning for anti-stress meds. Where are mine?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home