Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Some Things from the 1980s Actually Get Better


While some wily skags like Madonna become increasingly annoying with the onset of age and exist simply to produce product in order to buy Manhattan and London condos, babies and husbands, there are some performers from the 1980s who actually get better and more wonderfully weird and endearing with the passage of time. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the glory that is Nina Hagen.

Those still reeling from the loss of Eartha Kitt may take comfort in the Germanic purr of Fraulein Hagen on these old chestnuts.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:00 AM, Blogger WAT said...

AHAHAHHAHHAAH!

Now there's a gal I remember hearing about a few years ago and I could not believe my eyes/ears! NINA FREAKIN' HAGEN!

WOW!

THIS BITCH IS INSANE! AND I LOVE IT!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Insane, yes, in the best way. I really think she not Rufus Wainwright should have recreated Judy at Carnegie Hall. I love the thought her her belting out "Clang, clang went the trolley!"

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Yes the Yma Sumac of the punk world. God I love her. Cosmo has grown up to be quite the actress too. I still have a clip of Nina on the Merv Griffin show somewhere. What an odd show. Mariette Hartley and Nina Hagen side by side bantering away.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Nina Hagen-over the Berlin Wall and into your arms.
When I was a be-mohawked 15 year old (circa 1987), I drew a pciture of her and wore it proudly on the back of my trench coat. (I'll look for the picture)

Love her! That bitch crazy!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - That sounds like a VHS treasure. I hope you post it.

Jill - Oh, I definitely want to see that picture. Nina has aged well and not gone insane like that other punk diva, poor Wendy O Williams.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home