Wednesday, May 02, 2007

24/Lost


No, the above title does not refer to the TV show but my past 24-36 hours. Crash, burn..bleah. At 4 p.m. United called to say that my return flight was cancelled and they put me on one for Tuesday at 6:50 a.m. Tuesday. United actually calling you? What a concept. That was fine, I didn't want to arrive at 11 p.m. anyway and deal with parking. What's twelve hours delay. After checking in near the airport, I ordered a chicken related entree at Charleston's with some trepidation. It had a mysterious mix of mushrooms and havarti cheese and ...bacon. Bacon? I think the last time I had that was in 1987. I pulled it aside and made it halfway through. It didn't taste that bad, just somehow not quite right. Two hours later, "not quite right" meant five hours of retching, fever and various other combustible actions I'll spare you the details. I wasn't up for the 6:50 flight, and almost dropped the phone as I went through hearing United electronic voice "help" line repeat "I think I heard you say..." six or seven times. All I did the past 36 hours was watch the two-part American Experience piece on the history of the Mormons, reminding me that it's just a few weeks before those well-scrubbed 19-year-olds return to the Mission. I'll have to remember to talk to them in Spanish to ask probing questions about Joseph Smith. Joseph Smith, what a wild and crazy guy!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Eva the Deadbeat said...

egads! hope you have recovered, constant wretching is never good but OH what a story!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Scot said...

The last time I had missionaries come to the door I was 20 and cleaning the bathroom. We had a mold problem and I was bleeching the walls and ceiling down. I was wearing a white tank top and VERY short cut off jeans (Jessica Simpson would have found them shocking.) I never saw them wanl down the driveway again. Odd really.
In my new house, it's odd to notice the hispanic Jahovah's Witnesses never come to our door....

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Well, maybe your stirred a latter day revealation of what harkened in their hearts that they weren't ready to deal with! I'm sure it was a great show all the same.

I get the Jahovah's Witnesses asking if there are any Spanish speakers in the house. When I reply, "Si, yo habla" they reply "no, native speakers!" Finally, I just get huffy and say, "Nein, ich bin ein Deustchlander."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home