Sunday, May 06, 2007

Melting in May



Egads, what a miserable weekend it was in San Francisco. Saturday was almost tolerable, but today it was nearly 90, and at 10 p.m. it's still over 70. It feels like I'm in some shithole city in the south, with slowly lunkering lunkheads hanging out of their windows and on the stoops. No relief until mid-week, and I am still dealing with the aftermath of my virus, so every temperature point feels as if it's been tripled.

At least it's not has horrible as that heatwave back in July, but it still is not fun.

Before the heat hit, I managed to make it to the new Flora Grubb. I have to love a garden center that has an Edsel in among the perennial and an espresso bar next to the upscale gardening books. They're just settling into their new digs off the 3rd Street corridor, so I'll give them time before deciding whether they are style or substance, but I came away with far less than I did at the more practical albeit less glam Flowercraft. There's something to be said for their no-frills atmosphere and mix of cute Latino boy and crusty Sally-gal staff members.

I hope the heat does not scare away the butterflies that I saw all day Friday. They helped cheer my spirits during the main activity of my weekend -- writing proposals about Apurimac, Peru, and Bihar, India, thought got delayed from being flat on my stomach the first two days of the week. Though being the Peruvian Andes right now sounds great -- it's late autumn there right now.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger WAT said...

Weather report today in LA: 90s and 100s I believe with strong winds.

I sense a brush fire or two in the area. An arsonist's dream!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Oy vey. Triple digits in the Southland! Maybe I'll need to send regrets for that little tea party Nancy Reagan invited me to attend in her garden tomorrow.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Dave said...

"Lunkering lunkheads?"

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Lunkheads? Did I invent that term? Maybe I've been lunkering too much lately to even know it.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Oh Wow. I guess it really is a word:

2 definitions found

a) lunkhead - WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) :

b) lunkhead
n : these words are used to express a low opinion of someone's intelligence [syn: dunce, dunderhead, numskull,lockhead, bonehead, hammerhead, knucklehead, loggerhead, muttonhead, shithead, fuckhead]

lunkhead - Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 :

47 Moby Thesaurus words for "lunkhead" addlebrain, addlehead, addlepate, beefhead, blockhead, blubberhead, blunderhead, bonehead, boob, booby, bufflehead, cabbagehead,chowderhead, chucklehead, chump, clodhead, clodpate, clodpoll, dolt, dolthead, dullhead, dumbhead, dunderhead, dunderpate, fathead, goof, goon, jolterhead, jughead, knucklehead, meathead, muddlehead, mushhead, muttonhead, noodlehead, numskull, oaf, peabrain, pinbrain, pinhead, puddinghead, pumpkin head, puzzlehead, stupidhead, thickhead, thickskull, tottyhead

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I'm familiar with the word "lunkhead." It was your use of the verb "lunkering" that sufficiently confused me to keep me from being offended by that "shithole in the South" crack. You tottyhead.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Yep, I probably deserved the tottyhead name for that barb. Perhaps lunk is not a verb, but maybe it was just the heat making me into dunderpate or bufflehead that I decided to coin it.

The reference to the south was not general, just specific places there I that I don't like. I probably earned the way out wacko West reputation on that entry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home