Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Almost Autumn

The weather in San Francisco has been just shy of perfect since I've been back the past couple of days. It's been in the lower 50s, what I call the lower end of the warm scale, nearing cool. For the record I consider cool to be 25 to 50 Fahrenheit, cold to be anything below 24, warm to be 51 to 60 and hot to be all temps above 61. I know that's totally out of whack for some folks, but my French Canadian bloodline always runs warmer than most people in California and makes me gravitate to more northern, cooler climates. Plus fall and winter clothes are so much coooler than those depressing summer and spring pastels. Nothing cheers me up more than a lot of gray, black and brown! So I was pleased to see the berry bearing tree in front of the JunkPlex coming into its appropriate October colors.
Down the street on 24th is a telling sign of the evolution of the hood. Though the former China Books still has its distinctive People's Republic murals, it is being converted into luxury condos. In the Summer of Love, members of the Black Panthers bought copies of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book here and sold them to leftist students on the campus of UC Berkeley. I may head down there with a beret, machine gun and some 'tude to remind those folks of the proud heritage of this neighborhood. (By the way, Patty Hearst was captured just a few blocks south of the JunkPlex.)

¿Para toda? ¿Los Vegans tambien? I also find it a bit spooky that the pigs are cooking each other. UPDATE: Since Kusala asked, the full text of the sign reads: "Comida para toda ocasión"

Though not a Junk Thief-sponsored event this sounds like a good idea.
I appreciate that, but not today, thank you.
Look, he's not just for Urban Outfitters anymore!
Ah, crisp autumn air makes even the BART stop look better in the night.
And the ever curious cat in the window at Virginia Howell's is already getting ready for the big holiday.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you getting the machine gun from?

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Che Guevera-not just for Urban Outfitters anymore!

GOLD!

I love this weather, too.

And you'd never catch me dead in pastels at any time of year.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Todd - I picked one up while in Oklahoma. They sell them at Wal-mart there.

Jill - Pastels are so depressing, aren't they? Black is the true power color in my book.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Aaaah! That "para toda" mural is fantastico!!! What did the rest of it say? I need to know!

That really ranks up there with some of the best wall art I've ever seen.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Thanks, Kusala, so you're gonna make me walk out in the rain to find that out? Well, for you I'll try to indulge the request. I think it just says "Carnaceria". But the fact that those poor pigs are sacrificing each other is enough to turn most people vegan.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger WAT said...

Amen. I'm loving fall here in LA too.

It's cooled down nicely and the clouds/rain/drizzle have been actually better this year than in others past.

GLOBAL WARMING?!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

"For the record I consider cool to be 25 to 50 Fahrenheit, cold to be anything below 24, warm to be 51 to 60 and hot to be all temps above 61."

my sentiments exactly.... oh my you poor boy how in the world did you weather living in oklahoma!

I lived in texas eight years and for 9 mos each year I bitched endlessly about the fvcking weather (how boring!) and when it was time to move, I told f, if we remain in north america only north of the mason-dixon line.

man everyone is co-opting che! is nothing sacred!

ah sidewalk wisdom....love it!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Don't ask me, ask Al Gore.

Kimy - Oh, I think we're kindred Yankee spirits. There are actually a lot of things I like about the South, but just not the summers! Truth be told, I am pretty rooted in the north, and by that I also mean Canada. Honestly, I don't handle extreme cold -- and that's something Canada definitely has in the negative digits -- but heat brings out the worst, nastiest side of me. Thus, that's why I stick in SF. No, I didn't handle Oklahoma summers, which last about 14 months, very well. I always say I am a native New Yorker with the misfortune of being born in Oklahoma.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger mrpeenee said...

It's always such a pleasure touring the hood with you via your blog. I plan on wearing one of my many black turtleneck shirts tomorrow in your honor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home