Thursday, October 18, 2007

Written on the Walls and the Road

How many of my days forever lost sitting in muddled dread... ...that a monster will arrive in my mailbox, yet it never came.
How easily I fell into such a funk.
I let time, weather and neglect take their toll before light returned and I left these furnished rooms to stroll out the door.
I look at faces on the street, but they all seem to be the same.
Oblivious to a growing hunger that even I can not satiate.
The rhythm is there, but sealed and shrink wrapped.
Yet it beckons, piercing like a diamond needle in the ebony vinyl night.
"Rats," I mutter, muffling my rodent-infested rage that simply scurries, nibbling away at scraps as night approaches.
My thoughts wander back to sticky, sweet fields of corn...
...that empire I left behind so many decades ago.
Do I even remember that name?
And can I be transported back to such grace by the most random smile from a stranger on the street?
We can save the daylight a few weeks more until November arrives, but I know what happens as those sparkles command the sky at twilight.

Befuddled diamonds, or are they just glistening glass to cut at our tires?
I try to ground myself in the aqua marine shapes ahead... ...convinced that it is for me they reach.

(Inspired, in part, by the great archives of Reya Mellicker's Gold Poppy)

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger Pod said...

ain't you clever?
(best get her name right though before she sees, else she'll clobber you one!)

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

great, great, great! I have to check out reya's archives as I love wall/window/sidewalk art!

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Pod - Noted and corrected. Now she will wonder which she you're referring to!

Kimy - She's got great stuff, especially her reflection photos.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Oh, how I did enjoy this entry.

I'm also really liking the street shots. More, please! :)

xoSMJ

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger WAT said...

Oh, it's "The Stars Come Out To MOCK Me."

For a minute there I thought I saw something a bit more vulgar.

Ahem.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Scot said...

I wonder, does one corner of your mouth turn up in a semi-smirk when you put something like this together? It seems difficult not to have a cerain self-satisfied, self-ammused aire.
Anyway, I was satisfied and amused, and isn't that really the point after all?

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - I guess I'm trying to get all the street shots I can before the rains hit.

WAT - You're mind is always in the wrong place.

Scot - I live in order to make sure that you are satisfied and amused.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Thombeau said...

wow, great post!

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger m00nchild said...

I take pictures of street graffiti, concrete scrawl, and odd images like this all the time. And I thought I was just wacky, but hey you're a thief.

Signage in particular is compelling to me. The fact that it communicates as well as has a tangible form makes postings, signs, bills, etc. all fascinating subjects.

And like my part of town, yours is COVERED in stuff like this.

Thanks for the tour!

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I am most fond of the 'drunk' happy face winking at you on the street. Count me as a big fan of smiley faces in any circumstance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home