Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Outsider Art & Bread of Death

I am pleased as punch that Kusala took such a liking to my shot of the cannibal ritual the pigs adorning Belmar La Gallinita Meat Market (Kusala, you might want to check this Yelp review to learn more about the source of your image of adoration.)
I couldn't help but thinking about how much great outsider art there is on the various businesses in the Mission, especially here in the southeast corner and off Valencia and Mission which are becoming increasingly upscale. Much of this outsider art recalls Henry Darger, more intentional if not elegant as random graffiti and not as ornate as murals. And where else could you find pan de muerto?
In an era of franchise conformity and computer generated templates for even the most rank amateur, it's good to see a few hand-made signs with non-uniform lettering.
And a place to buy a thank you gift for your favorite table tennis enthusiast.
Or enjoy haute cuisine named after the favorite film of my childhood.
Or this mysterious fellow who, nonetheless, has that Junk Thief sartorial sensibility.
Don't ask me why, but there is something about this sign that really touches me. And I've resisted the temptation to write "Hope you win" at the bottom. It makes me feel good to know that something this sweet and unassuming still exists in America without the slightest intention of camp or irony. This barber is just trying to make an honest living.
I have mentioned the Foxy Lady several times, but at last I am pleased to reveal their fetching mascot.
The various barber shops and salons have the best signs. Love that unisex look!
Much as I love pupuserias, I do enjoy our lone Caribbean restaurant in the neighborhood.
Mr. Alvarez, while you're reviewing my itemized deductions, I'm going to check out these Hummel figurines.
I don't go to Mr. Burbujas since it's a couple blocks further than my corner laundromat, but I love the art.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Blogger jason said...

Love that foxy lady.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jason - Yes, she's really cool. She makes me think of something out of an adult fairy tale.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

I love your neighborhood pictures! My friend who lives on Valencia just sent me some papel picado banners for a little Dia de los Muertos party I'm having next week! She's my source for Mexican paraphernalia, don'tcha know?
I wanted to get some pan de muerto but it isn't vegan. alas.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joy - It's not easy, or even very viable, to be vegan in Latin America on the whole.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Scot said...

I confess my neighborhood has fewer cute signs, but plenty of tagging (like on the unisex barber sign). There are a lot of hand made signs, but they're mostly for Child Care, Tarot Card Readers and Terra Gratis!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I think that is actually "Gift Income, Shop Tax"

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Rich bread of the dead?
Spanish washing machines?
Ping pong, toy, gift all under one roof?
Getting both your income tax and gift-giving needs done under one roof?
AND a foxy lady boutique?
If I lived in your neighborhood, I'd never leave.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

My new favorite sign has to be "willys"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home