Monday, October 22, 2007

Do You Know Your Animal Sign?

It has been a long time since I've had the dream, but for several nights this month I've had a dream that I had a pet Beagle. I have not had this dream in two to three years. I have had three dogs in my life: a Dachshund named Rudy from birth to 18 months, a Beagle named Julie from six to 14 and a Basset Hound from 16 to 23. I've been more drawn to Basenjis because of their lack of barking or greyhounds for being aloof an equally quiet. Almost all of my exes and their current partners have dogs that they center their lives around. I would not mix a dog with my cat Bunter and would not consider getting another pet unless he had been dead for at least a year. I have no problem with widows remarrying quickly but am offended by people who seek replacement pets after losing their current one.

I have a history of getting a slight rash under my arm just before meeting someone who will be in an extended relationship with me. Unfortunately the rash I developed earlier this month is almost gone. Fortunately I'll be in Spain in a little over a week.

I've been planning to write a fictionalized account of a nervous breakdown one of my exes had years before we met when he was in Disneyland. Midway through the It's a Small World ride all the power and lights went out, and he began realizing that he had moved all the way to California with an absolute jerk (my predecessor, not me). He freaked, got out of the boat and started running through the canal and was apprehended by security because he was scaring all the kids.

When I was in first grade, my grandparents took me to the World's Fair in Flushing Meadows Corona Park. We also went to see Funny Girl and Edward Albee's Tiny Alice. The Mondoran style street lights at the fair (see far right of the bottom photo) were purchased by the Oklahoma State Fair the following year and along with the monorail were emblematic parts of the state fair for years, I took great comfort in the continuity they provided with the defining fair of my memory that I experienced in Queens. I was able to ride on the original It's a Small World Ride there and tried to recreate the Germany section at home, turning the alpine chalets into synagogues. We flew first class on TWA from St. Louis to Idelwild Airport (not all the signs had been changed yet to the new name). My grandfather insisted on having an empty seat next to him to ensure that his fedora was not crushed. He only drove Chryslers because Henry Chrysler refused to buck the trends of lower profile cars because he felt gentlemen wanted to be able to wear their hats while driving. My grandfather's favorite dogs were Beagles. He had several from childhood onward.

What is your guardian animal?

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 1:46 AM, Blogger WAT said...

Aw, Beagles are soooooo cute!

According to the Chinese horoscope, I'm a Tiger.

Running around like mad at Disneyland? It wasn't Gavin was it? AHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH!

What is my guardian animal? I'd have to say dogs and cats in general. When my grandmother passed away some 12 years ago, I remember sitting outside crying like a baby and the neighborhood cat actually came up to me and snuggled, as if she knew about my loss. It was certainly one of the sweetest moments I have ever experienced and one I will never forget.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

According to the Chinese horoscope I'm a dragon. They are supposed to go into theater.

Oh, that's right "Buckly" in The Magnificent Amber...I mean the Royal Tennenbaums is a beagle. My favorite animal in a movie. I also like "Poe" in Wonder Boys.

I had a friend who replaced his cat too soon with two cats. The new cats turned out strange.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Scot said...

To follow suit, my chinese animal sign is snake, like "cold hearted snake, girl, look into his eyes."

As far as guardian....there is a semi-ferral old cat that lives in the yard. He came with the house and I keep him fed. We call him "Papa Kitty" (you see, he was quite the baby maker before my friend caught him and had him snipped). He like to hang out around me when I'm doing yard work, often within 2-3 feet, but will never let anyone touch him. He sometimes cries at me to come work outside so he can have some company.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger cb said...

Basinji's- although good on paper- are not exactly quiet. They don't bark, but they 'vocalize"-- so its like squeaking, yelping, howling type stuff. Plus they can be ornery little cusses (a buddy of mine had one).

I had a greyhound-- delightful. SUPER quiet, very docile, slept a LOT. I cried a lot when I had to have him put to sleep.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - I agree that Beagles are cute. Some people think they're boring, but they're really sweet, dependable dogs.

Bryce - I have to turn away whenever "that scene" with Buckly happens at the end of Ambersons, er, Tenenbaums.

Scot - That's good of you to take care of Papa after he got clipped.

CB - I've also heard that though larger, the full sized greyhounds are much calmer than the Italian greyhounds. Quiet and calm would be key requirements of a dog for me.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger m00nchild said...

My native American totem is the Raven. They follow me everywhere. The are harbingers of great change. And every time I see them big changes in my life occur.

I never noticed how beautiful birds could be until ravens started appearing everywhere.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger m00nchild said...

My chinese sign is Dog. and I'm a Metal Dog.

Which basically means: "All y'all best watch out if you fuck with my friends"

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

m00nhild - How appropriate to have the nocturnal raven for our child of the m00n. Don't worry, I won't mess with your friends. However, would you mind taking on anyone that messes with me?

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Trevor Messersmith said...

I'm a metal Pig.

as for the world's fair...that poor unisphere and company are about to fall to dust completely. It's always sad to drive past it.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

T$ - What's up with all these metal animals. Too bad about the unisphere. Maybe they'll eventually preserve it like the Palace of Fine Arts from SF's Panamerican Exhibition.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Chinese zodiac-
Rat, element unknown.

I'm also a Leo, but I think that's all a fat load of hooey.

I'm not a dog person, but I'd love to have a greyhound.

And my husband and I call each other 'Bird'.

And there are four things you may not have known about me.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - Four things you may not have known about me:

I was an Eagle Scout.

I saw Hall & Oates live three times, albeit not in Philly.

I ate grasshoppers in Oaxaca.

I shook hands with Jimmy Carter in January 1976 before they were even saying "Jimmy Who?".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home