Saturday, January 26, 2008

Too Long at the Faire?

Last night I went to the Edwardian World's Faire with R. R and I dated back around the turn of the century, and I spent the night of 9/11 at his apartment atop Twin Peaks as we heard helicopters circling above. It seemed fitting to take him to an event celebrating another turn of the century, but it also reminded me of why we're no longer together. R is a good, sweet man, but innovative and curious are not exactly a part of his nature. He enjoyed it for a good 30 minutes or so and then excused himself.

If only San Francisco's Homosexual Community had as much innovation as the organizers of this little event. It had its fair share of homosexual in attendance, but it was a lot more fun than the vomit-enduing Folsom Street Fair or the snooze fests such as Pride and the Castro Street Fair.

My only complaint is that I was hoping for bit more Faire exhibits. Those on display were appropriately weird without being gross and icky and fey and whimsical without being cute or maudlin. Bizarre machines, costume masks, millinery and jewelry are fine, but I wanted more. The acts were reasonably entertaining and none went on too long.

The best part of the evening was seeing the revelers themselves decked out in Edwardian finery and oddities, including a good selection of young men wandering around on O'Farrell Street (just down the street from the Mitchell Brothers' strip joint) on stilts.

I only got tickets for the opening night faire, knowing that R would likely not be up for being a dance partner and tonight's grand ball or Sunday Gorey Sunday.

Those down south might be interested to know that the event will be at the American Legion Hall in November. Of course, it really wasn't a costume party for Junk Thief whose fashion sense has always been rather Edwardian.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Good for you for not cowering to the typical sexfests such as Folsom or other "celebrations." I'm no prude by any means, but even I have some standards!

I think.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - I'm all for sex and celebrations, just not with the magpies at Folsom Street Fair.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

that sounds way cool! I assume the Sunday, Gorey, Sunday fest has something to do with Edward Gorey? (One of my favs!) I always have the same beef down here in NOLA, believe it or not. The fags just aren't as creative sometimes as they should be. Just the same ol' boring ass-less chaps, bad disco house music and camp. Not to say that we don't have our share of WAY creative types, just not to the degree we should considering how we are stereotyped as being so much more original that we (often) are.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryan - Yes, it was a tribute to Edward Gorey. There was a dash of Sweeney Todd ethos in the mix, but not too goth or gory or Gorey. I think young straight kids are the new fags.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home