Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I'm A Steampunk, How About You?

Junk Thief has slowly become aware that he's part of a subculture without intentionally joining it. There've been clues and mention of the Steampunk movement popping up lately, but he wasn't that clear on what it is. He remembered seeing this video on the Wall Street Journal site last summer and he certainly saw examples a couple of weeks ago at the Edwardian World's Faire which was referenced in an NPR piece this afternoon that put the whole thing in perspective. Surely that's what those mysterious but glorious inventions in the storefront near the 24/Mission BART -- such as the one on the right -- are. There are even Steampunk iPod skins out there. How typical of Junk Thief to be clueless as to what the kiddos are up to while being totally in sync with it. Maybe Junk Thief TV with its many references to the past qualifies as a Steampunk channel. That sure sounds a lot cooler than "retro".

This whole idea of turning backwards to go forwards is really central to the Junk Thief aesthetic that celebrates everything of the Beaux Arts/Modernisme/Edwardian area evidenced in his recent homages of the George Melies, Antoni Gaudi and Claude Debussy. And, honestly, isn't that computer at the top of this post a hell of a lot more attractive than those white laptops with glowing apples? Junk Thief just can't wait to see the reaction of the Geek Squad guy the next time he comes out and sees the laptop with wrought iron bear claw feet.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Blogger jason said...

I read about that Computer somewhere earlier this year. Very Jules Vernean. I want!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jason - So do I. Do you want to take a class together so we can make one?

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

man, I'm always learning something new at the junk thief's place!

good luck constructing your time machine.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

NPR wouldn't shut up about this, yesterday. First I'd heard of it.

It reminds me of David Lynch's vision of 'Dune', where all the spaceships had brass fittings and giant, unnecessary periscopes.

I'm waiting for the Whistlepunk movement, sure to come shortly after the wholesale collapse of the timber industry.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kim - We aim to please through education here.

Rich - Whistlepunk sounds like a good movement. I need to rewatch "Dune" which I know is many people's all time favorite.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Well, it's not a good movie at all, but it sure is easy on the eyes, and if anything- it might be the classic no-good-at-all-therefore-wonderful movie so many of us cats dig around here.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - Well, I can be that kind of a cat. And then there is "Barbarella"...

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

Braxil was very steam punk. For some reason I think of HC Westerman as steam punk. Also Duchamp with his machines. HC reminds me of Cornell. Homo Punk activist Tom Jennings created a vacuum tube database. He's into created new machines from antiquated computer technology. His site is wps.com

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - I don't know HC, but perhaps I should. I'm not sure how recent old steam stuff has has to be to truly be Steampunk. About 1979 or so I think.

I download a lot of 78s to MP3s, but I really want to get an acetate machine so I can upload MP3s to 78s. I'd love to hear Radiohead on a Victrola!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home