Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Baby, Let Your Tail Hang Down

Above is what most people on the street see as the state of a basenji tail. It's not a sign of aggression or tension but supposedly a practical measure to help them weave through thorny brush. It really doesn't help that much with whiny kids, ghetto blasters, skateboarders and pitbulls in the Mission.

On the right you see a rare example of an increasingly relaxed Guru. What do you think his tail is telling you? Can you believe that only five days ago the rescuers were calling him a disturbed, aggressive, territorial animal? Though it's also pretty clear who now rules the JunkPlex.

When I was up on the Polk yesterday I almost bought a fetish of an Egyptian Royal Court baseni. Last night after another training session with my "rescue sponsor" he shared some factoids about the capacity of basenjis to take down antelopes, water buffaloes (and I think I heard him say) Rhinos. No wonder I sometimes wonder about that 24 pounds of canine muscle cuddling up so innocently with me in bed.

However, though we are definitely still in the foster mode, I am getting hints that adoption is eminent and would usually take anywhere from six months to two years. Of course, there has been no bonding with this little caramel canine and Junk Thief. He's just doing it with the hope that there will be some left over Iams kibble.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 12:52 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Six months to two years. To adopt a dog. As we say here in the Deep South, Junk Thief, are you shitting me?

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Dave - As we say in San Francisco, it's not a dog it's a basenji!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

You are SO keeping him. ;)
He's wonderful!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - Remember, not only is he on trial, so am I. I have to be approved.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Oooooooh! I wants me one, and now! I am the jealous!

A former coworker said she once looked into Greyhound Rescue and the woman that "interviewed" her made the whole process seem more difficult than adopting a child. I loves the animalz, but my these rescue people seem to take themselves so seriously! Good luck!

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - You think greyhound people are thorough, wait until you meet basenji rescue people! Actually they have been amazing support, willing to take unlimited amounts of time. I must admit I am quickly converting to the cult of the basenji and will likely be drinking the Kool Aid and filling my home with Egyptian Basenji art.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Eva the Deadbeat said...

Oh what a sweetie babypie. I am in ruv!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Eva - Next time you're in town let's go to the dog park and you can meet Guru!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home